Chapter 25: Night Shift

As Phillip hops in his truck, I get on my motorcycle (which is quite busted from the falling rubble.) we pill out, not giving the least bit of craps of what the speed limit is.... We are being sought after, we have absolutely no time for speeding referencing. I pull along side Phillip, he looks over at me with hope in his eyes, the prettiest blue eyes I've seen in a while. He pulls up his phone, and I reach in my coat pocket and pullout my headset, earpiece or whatever you want to call it. The ringer goes off loudly in my ear. So I instantly answer, Phillip, obviously phoning me.

"Hello, Lizza?"

"I know who you are hahaha, but for sage measure, this is Phillip"

"Haha, so! How'd you do it?"

"How'd I do what?"

"Live Phillip! How'd you live that fall, how did you suvive, it's not possible!"

He knew what I meant, but he trued to deviate the subject.

"Oh that old thing? Elementary, child's play, entry level! In other words, Piece'o'Cake! Haha! Wooohoooo!"

"Phillip, You!......."

Just then, that led footed idiot slams his gad peddle and charged forwards, ending the call. I call and call and call him, but he didn't answer, he probably couldn't hear his cellular because he had the truck's radio volume on 35 (at it's highest) I heard from two cars behind, how I knew it was his radio? He's the only man who puts the same ole Luke Bryan song on repeat twenty-five times.
We finally took a stop at the next service station to get gasoline of course.
I grabbed a large Pepsi with Phillip's money. As we both pumped our gas to it's rim, we discusses his fall, I he kept trying to deviate, but I didn't let him.

"Phillip, will you quit playing and just tell me how you did it?............. Please?"

"Hhhhhh, you know all the smoke that came outta nowhere and obstructed our view? Well, below that,right below the smoke was an air duct vent, I landed on it.. It happened to be laying on the hotel's floor. So I landed safe and sound on the floor without even getting a scratch. That's the story you wanted to hear"

"Oh my! That is so unusual, I thought that kinda stuff only happens in films, but I guess not.... I'm glad you're alive, Phillip"

"Yeah, well! I've been through worse"

"Wait! You have?"

He ignores me and looks left, down the freeway. Off in the cold distance, three cargo vans approach, three bad cargo vans.

"Come on Lizz, let's go!"

"Way ahead of you"

He hops in his truck and starts the ignition, I jump on my bike and slam my foot on the start crank and yet again, we were off, hurling down the road at rude speed, Phillip making paths in his wide truck and me darting in and out of traffic. The three cargo vans try and do the same, gaining good ground with every passing vehicle. I get on the phone and call Phillip telling him to pull off on the next exit and I will meet him up the road, in the next couple of miles, he did just so.
He gets off and follows underneath the overpass as I am on the overpass, still fighting my way through traffic as thick as maple syrup, but then... Hear gun fire, and then I feel it. A bullet grazes me ear, leaving it bloodied and scared, I'm moving way to fast to try and point my weapon, I may be a daredevil, but there is every place, yet still a time for that. I finally get free from trouble and fight my way into the sun, with Phillip at the horizon. We're getting out of Connecticut and never coming back, we head for the boarder where we were accompanied by four, oddly humungous SUV's corner us, but its not over yet, not just yet.