Chapter 70: Atlantia

The next morning I went down to breakfast with my friends noticing that Draco seemed a little different then last year but I figured it may be because of his father is in Azkaban so I didn't ask him about it. After we finished eating, we waited for Snape to come to us with our schedules. However, we were last because of how complex the process would be with Snape ensuring we met the O.W.L requirements for the N.E.W.T classes we wanted to take.
"Atlantia, I will review yours first since you have the most courses." Snape said taking my O.W.L scores. "All Outstandings. I am not surprised. So you're first class will be Ancient Runes. Not many have actually done well in that course to qualify for the N.E.W.T level class so it is combined with all houses so good luck. I will see you after that in Defense Against the Dark Arts." I smile at him before taking my schedule and rushing to Ancient Runes. I glance at my schedule as I walked toward the classroom. I noticed I had no breaks with how many classes Snape figured I should take.
Monday:
Ancient Runes
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Herbiology
Lunch
Potions
free period until Astronomy at nightfall
Tuesday
Divination
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Care of Magical Creatures
Lunch
Potions
History of Magic
Wednesday
Ancient Runes
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Transformation
Lunch
Potions
Free period till Astronomy at nightfall
Thursday
Transformation
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Charms
Lunch
Potions
Care of Magical Creatures
Friday
Herbiology
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Divination
Lunch
Potions
Charms
I saw a little note from Snape saying that because I was taking so many N.E.W.T courses, I would only take some courses twice a week and two courses that were deemed more important then the others to be taken everyday resulting in my overpacked schedule. I sat down next to Hermione in Ancient Runes and saw only a few other students had made it into the N.E.W.T level Ancient Runes. Surprise surprise 5 of the other 10 students were Ravenclaws, 2 were Hufflepuff, 2 were Slytherins other then me, and another Gryffindor joined Hermione in our small class. The class was a lot harder then normal and I was really annoyed when the professor gave us a 15in essay, two translations, and for me I have to read the chapters that I will miss on Tuesday plus the assigned ones. I was pretty upset when I joined Draco, Pansy, and Blaise outside the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Millicent, Crabbe, and Goyle didn't qualify for the N.E.W.T level class so they had a free period according to Draco. They wouldn't join us till Charms later in the afternoon. When I showed them my schedule, they pitied me.
"Why are you taking every N.E.W.T course?" Draco asked me handing my schedule back to me. I shrug.
"Snape, told me he would give me a lot of courses that would allow me to chose my career later in life so this is the schedule that was created from that." I saw Harry and Ron joining Hermione at the front of the crowd before the door swings open resulting in a silence over the queued students
"Inside," Snape said. I followed the group and smiled when Snape greeted me as I pasted. I followed Blaise to a seat in the front corner. The room seemed more gloomy with the curtains drawn over the windows and the lit candlelight made the gruesome pictures of people sporting gruesome injuries seem even more gruesome and frightening.
"I have not asked you to take out your books." I hear Snape say as the door shuts. I draw my attention away from the new pictures to see Hermione dropping her copy of Confronting the Faceless back into her bag. "I wish to speak to you and I want your full attention."
"You have had five teachers in this subject so far, I believe." Snape continues, "Naturally, these teachers will all have had their own methods and priorities. Given this confusion I am surprised so many of you scraped an O.W.L in this subject. Although one of you have dealt with fighting against the Dark Arts since she was born." He looks at me as he says this. "I shall be even more surprised if any of you other then her manage to keep up with the N.E.W.T work, which will be much more advanced. The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before." I smile when he said this remembering the time when I fought the Hydra. "You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible. Your defenses, must therefore be as flexible and inventive as the arts you seek to undo. These pictures" He swept a hand toward the gruesome pictures on the wall, "give a fair representation of what happens to those who suffer, for instance, the Cruciatus Curse," he gestured to the woman obviously writhing in pain, "feel the Dementor's Kiss, "A man slumped against a wall, "or provoke the aggression of the Inferius." A bloody mass laid upon the ground.
"Has an Inferius been seen, then?" Parvati who somehow made it into this class, "Is it definite, is he using them?"
"The Dark Lord has used Inferi in the past,"Snape replied, "which means you would be well-advised to assume he might use them again. Now, you are, I believe, complete novices in the use of nonverbal spells. What is the advantage of a nonverbal spell?" Hermione shot her hand into the air immediately. I don't really talk on classes which is something I guess Snape wanted me to break since he looked directly at me asking with his eyes for me to raise my hand before turning to Hermione.
"Very well—Ms. Granger?"
"Your adversary has no warning a out what kind of magic you're about to perform." Hermione said quickly, "which gives you a split-second advantage."
"An answer copied almost word for word from The Standard Book of Spells Grade 6" Snape said as Draco snickered behind me. I roll my eyes at least things didn't change. "but correct in essentials. Yes, those who progress to using magic without shouting incantations gain an element of surprise in their spell-casting. Not all wizards can do this of course, it is a question of concentration and mind power which some lack." I saw his gaze linger on Harry before continuing, "You will now divide into pairs. One partner will attempt to jinx the other without speaking. The other will attempt to repel the jinx in equal silence. Carry on." I knew Snape was unaware of the Shield Charm was taught to over half the class during the D.A. meetings so I wasn't surprise to see them whispering under their breath the spells when they couldn't get it to work non-verbally. I was paired with Blaise and I allowed Blaise to try as much as he wanted since I could easily jinx someone nonverbally.
"Pathetic, Weasley." I hear Snape say after awhile. I turn away from Blaise to see Snape turning his wand on Harry, "Here—Let me show you."
"Protego!" I hear Harry shout most likely in fear and his shield charm was so strong, Snape was knocked off balance hitting a desk.
"Do you remember me telling you we are practically nonverbal spells, Potter?" Snape said scowling and he righted himself.
"Yes," Harry replied stiffly.
"Yes, sir." Snape ordered.
"There's no need to call me sir, professor." Harry replied immediately. I gasped as did others while others grinned in appreciatively. The other Slytherins were shock that Harry actually said that.
"Detention, Saturday night, my office". Snape said angry, "I do not take cheek from anyone, Potter...not even 'The Chosen One'" We were dismissed shortly after that so I rushed off to Her biology where I found Neville and a few other fifth years but it looked like not many decided to course was for them. It was actually quite nice without that many students so I was able to relax and enjoy caring for the different plants. I already knew how to care for them so I didn't call it "learning." Once we were dismissed with our homework assignment(I was given a larger one because I was only coming twice a week), I walked up the Great Hall hoping to eat lunch with my friends but it seemed they had already eaten and had chosen to prep for their afternoon class. I hope at least one of them was in my afternoon classes. I quickly ate and shadowed traveled down to the dungeons to find Professor Slughorn already teaching.
"Well, welcome Atlantia". Slughorn said beaming at me, "Dumbledore warned me you may be late since Professor Snape had enrolled you in every N.E.W.T course. I am glad you are able to join us. You can sit" He looks around the room for an empty seat, "At Mr. Potter's table today." I nod and take a seat pulling out the things that the other students had. I saw Malfoy and Pansy were sitting together and I could tell they were sad that he didn't place me with them. I smiled and sent a message via my mind letting them know tomorrow I would try to get here earlier so I could sit with them. Their faces brightened at that and my attention faded to Slughorn who had begun to talk the minute I sat down.
"Where did I leave off..." He was saying as he looked around the room.
"Sir, you didn't tell us what's in that one." A hufflepuff I recognized from the D.A as Ernie said gesturing to molten gold filled black cauldron. I recognized it to be a luck potion which Tyche or Fortuna if you want to use her Roman form, uses to bless her heroes. I guess Hecate gave one of her wizards the ingredients and instructions.
"Ahh," Slughorn said smiling, "Yes, yes. That was the one I was going to talk about. Well, that one, ladies and gentlemen, is a most curious little potion called Felix Felicis. I take it that you know what Felix Felicis does Ms. Granger?"
"It's liquid luck."Hermione said excited, "It makes you lucky."
"Quite right, take another ten points for Gryffindor. Yes, it's a funny little potion, Felix Felicis," Slughorn says. I mentally snort at that since I have made it many times with my mom up in Olympus. "Desperately tricky to make, and disastrous to get wrong. However, if brewed correctly, as this has been, you will find that all your endeavors tend to succeed...at least until the effects wear off."
"Why don't people drink it all the time, sir?"  Ernie asks eagerly.
"Mom wouldn't allow that." I mutter under my breath.
"Why wouldn't your Mom allow that?" Slughorn asks, "I know if it is taken in excess it causes giddiness, recklessness, and dangerous overconfidence. Did you Mom cause these symptoms to arise?"
"My mother Tyche ,or Fortuna if you want to go Roman, is the goddess of luck. She created this potion to bless her followers and champions. I am guessing that when Hecate blessed your ancestors with magic, Hecate stole some of the luck potion to give to your guys so yeah, my mom probably found out and made sure you guys wouldn't get too much luck and probably made the potion harder to make." I explain.
"Well, I must say then thank you to your mothers for this wonderful potion that I will be giving as a prize to one of you lucky students." Slughorn said smiling. There were some gasps of surprise when they heard this. "One tiny body of Felix Felicis. Enough for twelve hours of luck. From dawn till dusk, you will be lucky in everything you attempt. Now I must give a warning that Felix Felicis is a banned substance in organized competitions...sporting events for instance, examinations, or elections. So the winner is to use it on an ordinary day...and watch how that ordinary day becomes extraordinary...So, how are you to win my fabulous prize?" Well, by turning to page 10 of Advanced Potion-Making. We have a little over an hour left to us, which should be time for you to make a decent attempt at the Draught of Living Death. I know it is more complex than anything you have attempted before, and I do not expect a perfect potion from anybody but the person who does the best, however, will win little Felix here. Off you go." I don't even open my textbook and I just begin to prepare my ingredients as I use my powers to bring water to my cauldron. I have made this potion with Hypnos because he wanted a way for people to be awarded with sleep. Truthfully I didn't really see how it was award since all your family members thought you were dead but Hypnos did. I don't understand all my parents. I was doing it different theme everybody else but I knew it would be done quicker and also be stronger. When we had just a half-hour left of the class, I saw the clear as water color that the potion should resemble. I lower the temperature of the cauldron to a low simmer before beginning to work on the Ancient Rune homework.
"And time's...up," Slughorn called out, "Stop stirring, please." He began to examine each cauldron but occasionally gave a cauldron a sniff or a stir. Slughorn ignored Ron and Ernie's not even remotely colored right cauldrons when he arrived at our table but he did give an approving nod to Hermione's potion. He broke out into a grin when he saw Harry's potion before gasping at mine.
"How do you have a perfectly created Draught of the Living Dead potion in under 30 minutes? Yes, I saw you finish." Slughorn said stirring my potion in amazement.
"Dear old dad is the god of sleep. Can you guess who created this potion? But please, don't give me that potion. I can easily create my own if  I needed good luck. You should give it to the next best potion." I say smiling at him. Slughorn stared at me in amazement for a minute before handing it to Harry and dismissing us.