Chapter 22

Can't believe 2021 is on Friday, sheesh. What a helluva year.

Jazmin

I was currently at my desk not doing work. I really needed to get a move on. I was just dragging behind because I hadn't really been getting much sleep lately. I was worried about the situation going on with Stephen. We hadn't talked in a while. I think this might be a new personal record for us.

It made sense because he probably wanted to keep me at the least amount of involvement, which I appreciate, I do.

However, that isn't going to make me think about the situation any less, I actually think it creates the opposite effect to be honest. I'm already worrisome to top it all off, so my anxiety was through the roof.

I just had to occupy myself so it could keep my mind off of it as much as possible. It seemed as if there was a lot of dirty work going on.

The work day was actually approaching an end so I decided to get ready to leave. I gathered up my things and said goodbye to some coworkers who I had come to befriend.

I sighed as I got in the car, what was I going to do when I got home? I really was up to nothing these days besides working at the bakery and then my data analyzing job.

What I really wanted to do was pick up the phone and call Stephen. I would even like to call Vinny, Giovanni, Damien or somebody. It was seriously a constant worry in the back of my head.

I pulled up to my apartment and decided once I got in, I'd call and order Chinese food. Yes, food will definitely help me get my mind off of things.

I sat on the couch and started looking at the menu.

"Oooh, wontons sound good. I think I'm definitely going to have to get the spare ribs. Damn that looks good too." At this point, I was prepared to order the whole damn menu. I decided what I wanted and then prepared to call. I dialed the number, until there was a knock at my door.

I furrowed my eyebrows, I was not expecting any visitors. All my visitors call ahead to let me know of their arrival. Maybe it was one of my neighbors.

I got off the couch and approached the door. I opened to reveal a man who looked like he had just gotten his ass kicked.

"Jazmin Winter?" I nodded slowly.

"Yes...what is this about? Who are you?" He held up his police badge. Not again.

"I am Detective Carter Smith with LAPD. If you don't mind, I need to discuss some things with you. I am here on serious business." Well I didn't want him to think I had anything to hide, so I moved out of the way to let him in.

"Please, come in." He nodded at me and went passed me into my apartment. I closed the door and I motioned to my table.

"Please, have a seat." He waved me off.

"Not necessary Ms. Winter, this won't take long at all." I crossed my arms and waited for him to tell me what was up. "I understand that you have some prominent connection to Stephen Amante-."

"I wouldn't call it prominent, but yes I do know him." He chuckled.

"Please, let us be frank Ms. Winter." He opened a folder and sifted through some documents. "I have something you'd be interested in seeing." He grabbed a piece of paper and held it out for me to grab it. I took it and inspected.

"I am sure you know who that young man is in that picture." It was a picture of my brother James. Oh no. "Do you see where he is going in those pictures?"