Chapter 39

Enjoy.

Jazmin

"So then you put it like this." I told Aria as I frosted the cookies. We currently were at my mom's house baking a whole bunch of things. I hadn't seen my mom or brother in forever, so I decided to come visit today. I also brought Aria along with me because my mom has taken an extreme liking to her.

"This is boring." Aria said out of nowhere. I chuckled a bit because I didn't expect her to say that.

"This is not boring, it's relaxing. The best part of it all is when you're done..." I picked a cookie up and bit it, "You can eat them." She gave me a not so convincing nod.

"Well they are good, I must say." She took a bite. My mother entered the room with a smile on her face.

"You ladies done with the cookies?" She asked as she walked over. I nodded and motioned to them.

"Yeah, they're all ready to go." She examined them and had a pleased look on her face.

"Looks like you both did a good job," She picked one up. "What are you guys gonna do now?"

"I'm probably gonna go talk to James for a minute, see what he's up to." I looked toward Aria. "I'll be back alright? Don't eat all the cookies."

"No promises." She said. I playfully rolled my eyes at her and left the kitchen.

I went to the garage to see James working on a car, as he always was. He has this old Mustang he's been trying to fix up. It requires some expensive parts, so it was long drawn out process. He came up from under the hood and looked toward me.

"Ah, Jazmin. How goes it?" He said as he wiped his hands on the towel. He was in his mechanic outfit getup.

"Nothing much, just haven't see you in awhile. Staying out of trouble?"

"Trying to." He gave me a smile. "My schedule everyday is get up and go to work, so I say I don't have much room for anything else."

"While I am proud you found something you thoroughly enjoy, don't go working yourself to death. You can still have fun, just not too much fun." I warned him.

"Mhm, well I suppose you're right. How's that man of yours?" He asked.

"He's good, he's just been acting a tinge weird lately.  I can definitely tell he's hiding something, or he's nervous. I'll find out soon enough." I said. I wonder what was going on with him. He usually tells me most things, but not everything apparently.

"Not another woman is it?"

"No, I'm sure it isn't." I said without hesitation.

"Well don't rule it out. You know how those mafia men are. Got every woman crawling at their feet. He doesn't look like one to refuse some extra company." James said as he lowered the hood on the car.

"Yeah, I'm sure a lot of mafia men get down like that, but he goes nowhere really. He's holed up in that office working day and night."

"Mmm." James murmured, indicating he wasn't convinced although he wasn't going to fight me on it.

The roaring engine of car came into earshot as it pulled up the driveway. It was a white semi-run down pickup truck. James popped up his head to look and threw the towel to the side.

"Gimme a sec, Jaz." He jogged a bit to the driveway to meet a man who got out of the car. He was a white guy with a muscular build. He had a dark beard with dark hair. Looked like a typical lumberjack man.

"Hey man, appreciate you for bringing this for the car. It needed it desperately." James told the man as he retrieved the part. The guy gave a stiff nod and looked toward me. Yeah, I'm watching you.