Chapter 34

I hope you're having a great day.
Happy Easter for those who celebrate!

Stephen

"Alright, let's get you off to bed." Ma said to me as I groaned with my crossed arms. I am 13 years old, I should not be having a bedtime. It makes no sense honestly. I am perfectly capable of getting up when I have to.

"But Ma, it's only 10:00. I wanna stay up and watch TV." I whined at her. She smiled and shook her head. She rubbed my head tenderly as she crouched down.

"I want to make sure you get a goodnight sleep, cucciolo. Your brother likes to get his rest, why don't you?" I scoffed.

"Damien is a baby, he knows nothing."

"He's 10, just a couple years younger than you. He has the same interests and likes as you. Except you don't see eye to eye with him about going to bed." She said. I rolled my eyes and hopped up in my big bed. I sighed with a slouch. She sat on the bed next to me. "Don't make that face, mio figlio." She kissed my forehead and leaned back to take a look at me.

"I don't want kisses, Ma." I complained. She laughed.

"You're going to be such a strong, determined leader one day, mio figlio. I can already see it." She looked at me with that same look she always gave me. Like she thought I was the greatest in the world or something. She gave Damien the same look too.

I huffed and looked away. She gave another chuckle and got up from the bed.

"I'm delaying your sleep. Rest now." She made her way to the door and gave me a warning look. She walked out and that's when I turned over to stare at the wall. I always had trouble sleeping. I looked at the wall for hours it felt. That's why I try to tell Ma I'm not sleepy.

I think an hour had gone by when I started to hear noises. They sounded like voices.

More specifically Ma and Dad.

I raised up a little so I could hear better. I went to my door and put my ear to it.

"Santo, are you out of your mind?! You're going to make me leave?! What do you know about raising two boys?!" I heard Ma scream.

"Shouldn't be that hard to figure out! You made them weak and I have to undo everything you did! You're no good here anyway, so I can't have deadweight around me. Get out!"

Then I heard a door slam.

"He had it coming!" I snapped out my trance and looked at the lady before me. The young woman was justifying why she threw the coffee to Ma. I finally gained the strength to look at Damien.

He was standing up and I sat him back down.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" I hissed at him. He motioned to Ma and looked at me crazy.

"That's Ma, you want me to just fucking sit here?!" He gritted back.

"You don't know what's happened to her all these years! We need to be cautious." I harshly whispered.

"It's Ma!" He retorted.

"She may not even remember us, you idiot!" I knew she damn for sure would remember us. I just was in shock she was in this diner right now. I didn't know what to think. I really didn't need this either.

"I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen, for the disruption. I-." She laid her eyes on us and stopped.

"We need to leave." I could see her eyes brimming with tears. I started sliding out the booth.