Chapter 38

Apologize for the extremely late update. I had to get through the end of my semester first, it's finally over. I have all this free time, I don't know what to do with myself.

Enjoy.

Stephen POV

"How do you think this is gonna go?" Damien asked me as we rode to Isabella's house. A few days ago, Isabella called me just after I went ring shopping for Jazmin. I figured she'd call soon, seeing how events unfolded when her and Ma came over for dinner the other night.

"Not sure, Isabella isn't too fond of us. But she did wanna talk, so she'll be open and ready to listen." I said as I looked out the window. Isabella actually wanted us to come over to her house. She probably was more comfortable there. She was definitely caught off guard when she came to the estate.

"Yeah, that's a good point. If she wants to know the whole story, she'll shut up and listen." Damien replied. I chuckled as we pulled into a quaint neighborhood. Looked to be right out of a movie.

"Excuse my interruption, may I have the house number, boss?" My driver asked me. I looked at my phone to see what she had texted.

"518." I told him. He nodded and went down the street farther. I looked out of Damien's window to see where the house could be. Damien pointed and spoke.

"Pretty sure that's it." It was a small white and black two story home. My driver pulled up into the driveway. "We'll return soon." Damien told him.

We got out of the car and I adjusted my black wool coat. I waited for Damien to round to my side before we headed to the door together.

"Ready?" I asked him. He gave a slight nod and started to the door ahead of me. We stepped on the small porch and rang the doorbell. I noticed Damien observing the house.

"I wonder if she has another job?" He looked towards me. "I assume that's Ma's diner, I wonder if that's her only?" I shrugged.

"Could be." Soon, the door opened to reveal Isabella in some comfortable wear. She had a not so excited expression on her face. I gave a slight smile.

"Nice to see you again, Isabella." I nodded toward her.

"I appreciate you reaching out." Damien added. She nodded with a sigh.

"Yeah, this was an important matter. Clearly, I've missed on a lot of information." She spoke.

"You have." I said. She moved out the way and motioned to the living room.

"Come in." We walked ahead of her and sat on the couch. It was a little awkward in the room, mostly due to the fact Isabella has a very stoic expression and hard to read. She sat down on a loveseat in the living room.

Her house was decorated nicely. Pretty modern, wood floors, gray scheme. It was nice in here. I just wanted to know who was going to start talking.

"Nice house you got here." Damien complimented. She gave him an odd look as if she wasn't expecting him to say that. She looked at the surroundings with a shrug.

"Thanks. It may not be a 10,000 square feet." She looked at us. "But it's cozy and homely."

"You live alone?" I decided to ask. She look hesitant to answer, but nonetheless she did.

"I do not. I'm married, my husband is out at work..." She trailed off a bit. Didn't know she was married. I glanced at her left hand and saw no ring. Interesting.

"Oh, I see. How long?" Damien questioned. I could tell she was probably getting annoyed with us meddling in her business. Might as well take a shot and ask right?