Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Lesson and the Morning

Malfoy and Riddle sit next to each other in all the classes they have for the rest of the day. The next day, Professor Fred makes everyone sit boy, girl. Riddle is sat next to Jallena who is sat next to Orion and Tasmin. Riddle and Jallena share a desk.

PFW: If you have any problem with your seat, let me know after class. Every test day and every Wednesday you may sit next to whomever you want. Who knows, I might let you guys sit where you want whenever as long as you guys do good and behave. 

Jallena scribbles out a note and passes it to Orion, whispering something. He passes it to Tasmin who giggles when she opens it. She gives Jallena a little nod. Riddle has his head in his arms, asleep on the desk. Jallena nudges him and whispers.

JJ: Riddle. Riddle, you ought to wake up. Professor Fred won't like this. 

Riddle doesn't respond. Professor Fred reaches into a cabinet and pulls out two gold symbols. He floats over to the desk and smashes the shiny instruments together. Riddle shouts up from the desk, rubbing his eyes.

RR: Ah! Geez, mate!

PFW: I used to sleep in this class too. I suggest you don't. Sleep in Astronomy or something, but not my class.

RR: Yes sir.

Professor Fred floats back to the front of the room, drawing an object on the board. Riddle rubs his eyes again.

JJ: I told you, Riddle.

RR: You did?

JJ: Yeah, but you were too busy sleeping to listen.

RR: Got it.

JJ: Do I have to call you Riddle?

RR: Yes.

JJ: But your name is Rudiger, right?

RR: Yes.

JJ: I'm going to call you Rudy.

RR: No.

JJ: Yes.

RR: Jordan, no.

JJ: Rudy, yes.

RR: Stop.

JJ: And you can call me Jallena. 

RR: No. I'll call you Jordan and you'll call me Riddle. Simple as that.

JJ: Stop being stubborn. We can be friends, you know?

RR: Could. Won't. I don't make friends. I just have people that I tolerate. 

JJ: Like Ry.

RR: Ry.

JJ: Orion. Malfoy.

RR: Why'd you call him that?

JJ: Because he likes it. It's unique to him, unlike Malfoy.

RR: Ry is not unique, Orion is.

JJ: Yes but Ry is just short. A nickname.

RR: You find the smallest things amusing.

JJ: Yes. Yes, I do. I'm twelve years old, almost thirteen for goodness sake. I'm allowed to have fun.

RR: I guess I'm just mature for my age.

JJ: What childhood trauma caused that?

RR: You're a bit intrusive, Jordan. 

JJ: Just wondering. We could get to know each other this way.

RR: By sharing our traumas? No. Think of something else.