Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Newcomer

Headmistress McGonagall steps up to her podium and clears her throat.

"Attention please!"

Everyone in the Hall quiets down.

"We have a new student transferring here to Hogwarts today. She was previously a student at Beauxbaxtons Academy but originated in London. She'll be joining the first-year class. Mr Filch, if you would please open the doors and let Miss Spritz in."

Filch walks to the back of the Hall and opens the large doors. He escorts in a young, dark haired girl. Orion gasps as do many of the other students She's dressed in a simple cream coloured dress with small flowers embroidered o it. Her hair is decorated with a matching bandana. She practically floats to the front of the room where the Sorting Hat is placed on its stool. When she turns, Orion sees that there is a large scar over her left eye which is white while the other is a striking blue.

"You will all be here to witness Miss Spritz get Sorted as was done for you. Please be respectful and quiet."

Orion's heart begins to race as she sits on the stool. The hat barely touches a hair on her head before yelling out.

SLYTHERIN!

The Slytherin table erupts with cheers and Orion finds himself standing and applauding. Riddle pulls him back down as she makes her way to the table. She sits far from them.

OM: Dude! She's gorgeous.

RR: I have to agree with you on that one Malfoy.

OM: And that scar!

RR: I wonder how she got it. That's really something.

OM: It's beautiful. The scar, the white eye, the blue eye. I think I'm in love.

RR: Slow your roll Malfoy. No love in first year.

OM: Ugh. Stupid rules.

RR: Sorry mate. Eat, you'll feel better.

OM: I 'spose.

Orion puts some toast on his plate but can't seem to make himself eat. He stares over at the new girl instead. She's having a conversation with the Prefects. They finish talking and she looks around, catching Orion's gaze. She smiles and gives a small wave which he returns awkwardly. Riddle taps his shoulder so he turns.

OM: Yeah?

RR: Ask her to come over here.

OM: Wha—what? No. I—No.

Riddle gets her attention and motions for her to join them. She nods and makes her way to their section of the table. She takes a spot across from Orion who can't stop blushing.

"Hi."

RR: Hello new girl. What might your name be?

"Spritz. Nessie Spritz."

OM: W-Welcome to Hogwarts.

"Thanks. It's real nice here. The uniforms look more comfortable."

RR: Not by much. Tell me, how'd you get that scar?

NS: Oh-uh-I got into a fight.

RR: You're joking.

NS: Not at all.

RR: I assume you lost, judging by the severity of that scar.

NS: I won. Don't underestimate me.

OM: What happened?

NS: "Well, at Beauxbaxtons, there's a fencing class. I took that class for two months, so I knew all the basics. This guy in year four thought he could beat me in a sword fight, so I challenged him. He brought real swords, not just fencing ones. We fought with the swords until he pulled out a dagger and slashed my face"