CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

AVERY

The light falling on my eyelid wakes me up. My eyes flutter open and they take some time to adjust with the light. I push myself up on my elbows and look around. Bear is not on the window seat where he was sleeping last night and the bed beside me is vacant. Dylan was supposed to be here. I know I wanted him to stay away from me but I was hoping to get up next to him this morning, for once. It's an odd feeling.

The dream last night really shook me. I know it probably meant nothing but that fear inside me, the guilt. I don't know if that will ever go away. Even if I try to stay away from Dylan, can I? I bring my hands to my face and rub. A frustrated noise leaves my mouth, more like a whimper. That's when I hear my bedroom door open and Dylan comes in with a tray in his hand.

"Good Morning." He places the tray on the bed beside me and leans over and presses his lips against mine. He leaves a small peck on my lips and straightens up. "I made you breakfast in bed." He nods towards the tray and wiggles his eyebrows in the cutest way.

The corner of my lips twist up into a smile and I say, "Good Morning and thank you. You didn't have to do this."

"Eeh, I had to. You had a tough night so I thought to do a little something for my lady." I can't help but giggle at his words. I shake my head and turn around to face the tray. Dylan sits opposite to me and we dig in. Pancakes with honey dripping off it, the best start of the day. As I take the first bite, my eyes close involuntarily and I can't help but moan at the deliciousness. I taste a little choco syrup too. Hands down, the best pancake ever. When I open my eyes, Dylan smiles at me but it seems to be a forced one. He removes his eyes from my face and starts eating from his plate. 

"You ok?" I ask.

"Yeah. Why not?" He answers hastily without looking up.

"No, you don't seem like it. Why are you not looking at me?" I start to get anxious. I knew this would happen. This is what I wanted right?

He looks everywhere except at me and then finally fixing his eyes on me, he says, "this is going to sound odd and out of the place and well...a bit perverted but...the sound that you made..."

A blush creeps up my neck to my cheek and my face heats up. I look away from his face and down and mutter, "oh..." I bring my lower lip between my teeth and bite it. Dylan hooks a finger under my chin and tilts it up and captures my lips with his. My eyes flutter close and I get intoxicated by his taste. His lips seem softer and sweeter because if the honey. He pulls away and freezes me with his warm gaze. "You were biting your lip, I couldn't help it..." He sits back leaving me all flushed and breathing heavily. He goes back to eating as nothing happened. "So, how are you feeling?"

"Good, " I breathe. An evil look passed his eyes and he smirks but before I can point it out, he puts on an innocent expression. I finish my breakfast, careful not to make any more noises. Dylan takes the tray down and I enter the bathroom to shower. I put on my track pants and a tank top and leave the room with my black hoodie in my hand. I am walking down the stairs when Dylan comes to stand on its other end.

"Hey, mind if I take Bear out today instead of you?" He asks smiling cheekily at me.

"No. Of course, you can but if you are doing this because of last night then I assure you, I am ok." I say as I reach him.

"No, I just like to play with your pup."

"Yeah sure ok."

"Do you have to go anywhere though?" He eyes my outfit. I look down and shake my head.

"No, I just had to take Bear out but if you are doing it then I have no more plans."

"Okay cool. See you when I get back." He waves at me and jogs across the living room and out of the sliding glass door to the backyard. He comes back in with Bear. He stops at the other end, turns towards me and holds Bear up. Waving Bear's hand, Dylan says in a baby voice, "bye mommy. See you at lunch." Then he jogs out. I stand there giggling to myself.

Today Dylan is acting differently. Good different. Not that he didn't act well before but today there is something else. He is being all mushy and sweet. It's cute but I feel like it has a lot to do with last night.

I still have to figure out what is right to do and how to bring this situation under control. I can't pretend that Marc's death is not my fault and that I owe him nothing but what about Dylan? I can't stay away from him. Even as hard as I try. In this whole figuring out the situation, I am hurting Dylan. I was quite rude to him last night yet he stayed the night with me.

I am running around in my head when I get the idea. I jog up to my room and pick up my phone and write a text to Meli asking her to meet me at the Taco Bells across the street from Target.

Meli ♡ : Be there in 30.

Picking up my keys, I run down the stairs to my car and leave to meet her. I know she can help me with this. I need to tell her what I feel and get an opinion of a matured adult 'cause I seemed to have lost that quality.