CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN

AVERY

"I'll call you later," Dylan says into the phone and brings in down from his ears. Bear jumps out of his hold and runs to my feet, wagging his tail. He hops around trying to gain my attention.

"What did you say?" I ask, almost losing my voice. I still can't comprehend his words in my head.

"Let's sit and talk," he says, cautiously taking a step towards me.

"I don't wanna sit! Just tell me what's going on!" I say, losing my patience. A few words are running about in my head, they are forming solid sentences but I don't want to believe in any of that.

Dylan pushes his hand through his hair and tugs at it, leaving a frustrated sigh. He waits for a moment before looking back at me. I see the guilt in his eyes before he starts talking. "They traced the car that attached you. It was found outside a cabin. Julie was in that cabin. Seems like she drugged herself. They found an injection in her hand. She was unconscious. I should have told you sooner." My eyes widen at his words. I gasp and put my hand on my mouth. "She might be the one attacking you."

"What?!" I burst out as soon as he says that Julie might be my attacker. He remains silent, baring me hooded cautious glances. "There is no way Julie would do something like that," I say firmly and start shaking my head.

"Baby I know it is hard to believe-" Dylan takes a step towards me.

"she is my sister, Dylan!" I exclaim. How could he even think something like that?

"cousin sister, " he mutters before I catch the little roll of his eyes. My eyebrows shot up.

I let out a dry laugh and raising my voice a little, I snap, "Doesn't fucking matter!" She is my sister.

"Olivia, I am not saying she did it. I am just saying she might have." I rub my palm on my temple and groan, unable to believe what is coming from Dylan's mouth.

Taking in a deep breath to keep my composure, I muster up the strength to lower my voice a little. Although my tone remains as defensive as before. "I don't care what you are saying. My sister would never do drugs or try to hurt me in any way. Just because she eloped on your wedding day doesn't give you the right to assume such things about her. If she had known that I would have to get married instead then she would've gone through with the wedding." I am not complaining about our marriage. That is the best thing that ever happened to me. I wouldn't change a thing but I didn't know that when I was getting married. I didn't know what it would become.

"Please try to understand. We cannot trust anyone right now."

"That means I shouldn't trust you either but I do, right?" More than anger, I feel disappointed that he would think something about my sister and try to hide it from me. "Dylan, she was all I had as a family after Marcus was gone. We were as close as siblings. Just because she isn't obedient and might not come off as the good girl in front of everyone's eyes, doesn't mean she is bad. You don't know her, I do. She will never do something like this. She doesn't love easily but she loves me." I say in a steady voice. Everyone thinks she is selfish, everyone dislikes her, only because they fall for what she shows. There were even times when I didn't think she was right, I got mad at her but does that mean I don't love her? No. Does that mean she doesn't love me? No. Hell, she was always protective of me, no matter what. Even with all the things that she does for others, she keeps it hidden. She thinks no one knows, I do. Even if everyone tells me that she tried to do something this disgusting, I wouldn't believe it.

"Isn't there any chance she could've been involved?"

Sharing my head, I take a step away from him. "I can't believe you. You are telling me that the person who can try to kill me twice cannot do this to her?! What is wrong with you?!" I yell, throwing my hands up in the air.