CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE

AVERY

"Dad is asleep," Dylan says stepping into the room. I nod and sigh, keeping the shirt in my hand on the bed. Jack is in a very bad state right now. "He basically cried himself to sleep." Dylan leaves a pained sigh and pulls his shirt over his head.

"I got the bath ready for you, " I say softly. He looks at me and nods.

"Thanks, but you didn't have to do that." His voice is low, almost inaudible.

I walk up to him and touch his shoulder. He looks down at me with his tired gaze. Running my hand up and down his arm, I say, "I did. You need to relax a little." He forces a smile. I lean up and kiss him softly on the cheek then move to the closet while Dylan walks into the bathroom. I pull out his towel and walk into the bathroom while he is pulling down his pants. I keep his towel on the sink. "Here's your towel. If you need anything just call. I'll be out in the room." He nods and I leave. I walk up to the bed and pick up his shirt.

Just a moment passes before I hear him call my name from the bathroom. "Olivia."

I scurry across the room and push my head through the door. "Yeah?"

"Can you come in? Have a bath with me?" He asks. My heart squeezes at his soft expression.

"Sure." I smile warmly at him and enter the bathroom. Stripping down, I step into the bathtub and swing my legs over Dylans then sit. Leaning forward, I pull him into a hug. He buries his head into the crook of my neck and I hear him take in a sharp breath. "Dylan?"

"Hmm?" He mumbles.

I push my hand through his hair and let my fingertips slowly massage his scalp, "You can cry now." I feel his grip immediately tighten around my waist. I gulp down my sobs as I hear a painful whimper leave his mouth. I let him cry, let him hold me all he wants. This man didn't shed a single tear in front of his Dad and acted as a shoulder to him all along without breaking down himself. He needs to let his emotions out too.

He pulls his head away and looks at me with tears flowing down both his cheeks. Through his whimpers, he asks, "How do you always know what I need?"

I bring my hand to his cheek and gently wiping away his tear, I answer softly, "Just like you know what I always need."

"I don't think I would be able to be so strong without you."

"Wrong. You are strong. And you would do the same even if I was not here." He is stronger than he thinks. Only if he knew how I had fucked up when I should've acted strong and a little more understanding.

"How do you know?" He asks and sniffs.

"I just know, sir." He tries to smile it only turns into a painful grunt. More tears spill, his body gently trembling with the pain of his sobs.

"Dad cried a lot. He will miss her the most. I have you but he...even if I try, I can't give him what he needs right now."

"You are at least trying. He needs to be loved and he knows you love him."

Another shock runs through his body and he says, "Promise you will never leave me."

"I promise."

"I love you, Olivia."

"I love you too." He kisses me. I feel his tears touching against my skin. I feel his body gently shaking. He moves his head to my neck and breaks into body wracking sobs all over again.

******
A month later

"I don't understand why you have to go to the office on Sunday, " I complain and cross my arms against my chest. It's been more than three weeks since Diana's funeral. Jack was staying with us and both I and Dylan didn't want to leave him here alone. Dylan worked from home and tried to attend all his meetings through video conferencing. Madelyn has been coming to help him with everything. I tried to spend my time at home as much as possible. However, Jack's friend flew in a week ago and he wanted to take him along with him, to get his mind off the present situation. Only if he knew how much this hurts him.  But I surely want him to get better. Neither I nor Dylan could make him smile once, maybe a little time away on a beach house will help.

"It's just for two hours at the most. I don't want to face all the work all at once. I want to keep it a little sorted before Monday, " says Dylan putting on his coat. I glare at him. No one will be at his office today yet he wants to go there. When I asked him to have Madelyn or someone else bring those files here, he said he didn't want anyone to do that since they are pretty 'confidential' and he didn't want to trouble anyone.

"How much work will be done within two hours?" I snap.

He sighs and leans forward putting his hand on the edge of the bed beside my thighs. Bringing his one hand up to my face, he tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear and asks, "Olivia, what is it?"

I stare into his eyes for a moment before directing my eyes to his tie. I reach out and running my hand over the fabric, I mutter, "I just don't feel right about you going to the office today. I mean, no one will be there. I just have a bad feeling."

"That's because you are sick. You've been sick since this morning. You've been throwing up since Friday." He says and I gulp, then bring my eyes to his face to check his expression. Luckily enough, it's normal. I just hope he hasn't suspected anything yet. Not until I know for sure.

"No, I am not talking about that feeling. I just feel like something bad is going to happen," I answer.

"Nothing bad is going to happen. I am going to the same place I have been going to every day for the last six years. What wrong could happen?"

"I don't know. You'll be alone. Your assistant won't be there with you either."

"The security guard of the building will be there. So technically, I won't be alone." I pout at him.

"Take Jason and Rob with you, " I demand.

"No way." He jolts up straight, raising his hands in surrender.

I scoot closer to the edge of the bed and say, "Dylan I promise I won't leave the house. Please take them with you."

"No." He shakes his head repeatedly.

"I'll be safe. No one can enter the house without the security code."

"I don't care." He shrugs.

"Please Dylan. I'll have peace of mind." Then as the last try, I switch to my puppy eyes and pout, "Please."

He glares at my face knowing exactly what I am doing. I reach out and tuck my finger into his belt and urge him to come closer. His glare slowly softens and he says, "Okay but I'm only taking Rob. Jason will be here with you."

"Okay." I nod.

"Fine." He leans forward and kisses me for the last time before turning around and leaving.

I lean back against the headboard and pick up my overturned book and continue reading, with the anxiety slowly building its way through me. My patience is running out with every second as I wait for the delivery. It was supposed to be here just after Dylan leaves but that man decided to leave at 8 instead of 9:30, how convenient of him!

My book is opened in front of me but I am barely registering any word that my eyes are falling upon. I spend the next two hours, starting at the clock and my book. Dylan will be here anytime now. I needed to do it before he came back.

"Avery?" My head snaps towards the door at Mrs Griffin's voice. I jump off the bed as I see a bag in her hand, a tiny one, with the word 'pharmacy' written on it. "This got delivered just now." She holds it out towards me.

"Damn morons!" I mutter under my breath and take it from her hand then smiling warmly at Mrs Griffin, I say, "thank you." As soon as she leaves, I run towards the bathroom with the pack.

I pull out the box and tear it open. A pink stick gets revealed. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath, trying to get courage. I don't know how to feel if I turn out to be pregnant because Dylan just lost his mom. It hasn't even been a month and he is still dealing with that loss. However, all my symptoms are showing the same thing which makes me fifty per cent sure that I am pregnant.

Finally, I decide to let go of the thoughts and pee on the stick. After washing my hands, I place the stick on the edge of the sink and wait. I can see my fingers shaking slowly as I wait for the result. Suddenly, the bathroom door opens with a bang as it strikes against the wall. I shriek and spin around on my heels to find a gun pointed at me. As soon as my eyes fall on the person's face, my jaw drops.

"You?!"