EPILOGUE

DYLAN

Few months later

"Please, please, please." Mike folds his hands together as he sits down at the edge of the centre table facing Avery. She is sitting with her back resting against one end of the couch and her feet are over a cushion in my lap.

Laughing Avery asks, "you really want a pregnant woman to be your date to make her jealous?"

"Why not? I'll say that you got divorced," says Mike. Shaking my head, I continue to read the book in my hand. Well, yeah pregnancy book. Seems like that's all I've been doing lately. Dad started helping me with the office. He says that way he can keep himself busy and I can be with Avery as much as I want. Her due date was about two weeks ago. We both got worried but the doctor said everything was normal so now my main focus is mugging up the reasons why there is a delay in delivery from all the books I've collected over the months.

"Why don't you take Melissa?" Avery asks.

"Whoa whoa. Don't even think, " Brad quickly interjects. Brad and Melissa started dating a few months ago. I always knew something was there then Avery explained their story to me after they got together. That's a long story. And a lot happened after that.

"Since when did you become the caveman type?" Avery tips her head back and asks Brad.

"Since...college?" He makes the 'isn't-that-obvious' face.

"Right."

"Avery, please. I need your help here." Mike says. "And about taking Melissa, it's a good idea."

"Very bad idea!" Brad growls and throws a piece of chips at Mike.

"What's a bad idea?" Melissa emerges into the living room with a few glasses. It's Thanksgiving. We are all supposed to watch a movie. After Avery got her maternity leave, I surprised her with a small theatre on the ground floor so that she can watch whatever she wants and doesn't have to go upstairs all the time.

"Will you pretend to be my date at my friend's party?" Mike asks.

"Like hell, she will!" Brad growls.

"Pretend? Is it that Danielle girl again?" Melissa asks.

"Yep. And I want to make her jealous, " Mike says.

"Yeah, Mike is determined to marry this one, " I say.

"Hey, I don't think about marrying every girl I like!" Mike snaps.

"Sure, " I scoff. "Name one girl you liked and didn't think of marrying...except the few one-night stands...which you expected to turn into something more."

Mike points a finger at me and says, "If you weren't supposed to become a father anytime now, I would beat you up."

I laugh mockingly at him. "Like you could."

"Okay shut up, " Avery says and stands up with a grunt.

"You okay, babe?" I ask.

"Yeah just gotta pee. Your boy doesn't let me rest for a while and he isn't even born yet, " Avery says and starts walking towards the bathroom.

"Nine, " Melissa says.

"Keep counting, I might just cross century today, " Avery mutters while walking past Melissa.

"What?" Brad asks.

"She has gone to the toilet nine times since the last hour, " Melissa replies.

"Is it normal?" Mike asks.

"The doctor said this will happen towards the end of the pregnancy, " I answer.