CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

DYLAN

I haven't been home since the morning. I needed some time away. Knowing that I have to come home and have dinner with the person who hates me with every bone of her body, I preferred eating outside. Although I am not going to eat out every day, I will figure out a way to ignore her. It's best for both of us. No one interferes in each other's life. It's not like I never controlled myself in times of need, without anyone. I can do that this time too. I don't need anyone.

It's already past eleven. I know it's late. Mrs Griffin must be gone already. Normally, on days when I come home late, Mrs Griffin remains gone.

As I enter the house, I find the living room dimly lit. It's usually dark. Frowning, I walk in looking around. Are there any chances that Avery is still up, waiting for me? Why would she? Shaking off the thought, I walk towards the centre of the room. Mrs Griffin must have left the lights on for me. On reaching the couch, I drop my coat and open my shoes.

"Husband!" My head snaps in the direction of Avery's holler. She is struggling to stand up from the bench by the pool. Her left hand is stretched out, waving energetically at me with a broad smile lighting up her countenance. My eyes immediately fall on the other hand which holds an almost empty bottle of wine. The fuck-

She tries to walk forward but stumbles back. "Careful!" Panicking, I take off running. She falls on the chair and starts giggling. She is drunk.

I stop at the end of the seat and look down at her. She is still giggling. "Avery what are you doing here?!" I snap, making her flinch. Her giggles are immediately put to a halt.

"I am just sitting here..." She cries out, pouting. Although she is looking adorable right now, my main concern is not that. Clenching my jaw, I glare at her. "Oh, you mean why I am sitting here? That's 'cause when I tried to sit by the pool, I was about to fall and I can't swim, " she shrugs, making the cutest face I've ever seen on her.

"How much did you drink?"

"I didn't drink!" She lies, quickly hiding the bottle behind her back and starts shaking her head. God this woman!

"Avery, " I groan and reach around her and snatch the bottle away. "What's this?" I demand.

"I was just tasting!" She whines.

"For the tasting, one sip is enough. And there's one sip left in this bottle. What were you thinking?!"

"Would you stop yelling at me for a moment?"

Sighing, I look away. I can't help but wonder if she drank so much because of the little argument we had this morning. It was pretty intense. For me, it was. Did it bother her though? She must have been relieved to finally get rid of me. Bringing my attention back to her, I say, "let's go upstairs."

"Noooo! I wanna sit here now. It's so cool and you'll sit with me, " she says and wraps her tiny fingers around my wrist and tugs. I dont know why, but I dont resist. Instead, I take a seat beside her on the bench and put the bottle down on the ground.

"What do you want?" I ask, looking at her.

"Are you still mad at me?" Her voice comes out in a mere whisper. She stares expectantly into my eyes.

"What do you think?" I ask in a monotone voice.

"Yes..." She tilts her head down towards her lap making her loose hairs fall on both the sides of her face. "I'm sorry..."

"For?" I know what for but I want her to accept.

"For...closing off like that, " she looks up and her eyes meet mine. I see a silent promise in the green depths. "I won't do it again..."