CHAPTER THIRTY

DYLAN

I sit on the dining table with my laptop, not doing anything really just pretending to be busy. I dont want it to seem like I've been waiting for Avery to come down so that we can have dinner together. That would look pathetic. I mean, provided that it is the case, I am pretty much pathetic but why tell that to everyone else?

Every once in a while I've been glancing back to see if Avery is coming. A few times Mrs Griffin even caught me do that but do I care? No. She gave me a few smirks and knowing glances every time she passed by or every time our eyes met. Bear is at her toes running around. Sometimes even coming to me, wagging his tail. I came home early today so I decided to join Bear in the yard. It felt refreshing to be playing with him. It's kind of the way I used to play with Buddy. Bear is a cute obedient dog unlike his mommy, who is cute but not at all obedient. She does opposite of what is told.

Since last night we haven't talked and the fear that she would pull away once again is really eating me up. She seemed to be into the kiss at that moment but no one can figure out what goes in that woman's head. At least I can't. Moreover, provided that she has a history with her best friend, I wonder if she will ever give in. I felt the want from her side too, it can't be meaningless when the other person is holding onto you so hard that you won't leave. Yes, that's what she was doing last night and this morning, I didn't even get to see her. She was still sleeping when I left, and after she came home, she didn't try to talk to me. So here I am now, sitting on the dining table, waiting for her, hoping I can have a little conversation with her. Not that pathetic, to be honest.

Groaning at my condition, I rub my palms against my face. I look back but this time, my breath catches. There she is walking towards me, with water dripping down her wet hair. Her hair seems to be even darker and highlighting her face, which looks fresh and glowing. The tip of her hair reaches up to the tip of her breasts and is wetting the part.

My face heats up immediately and I look away, embarrassed. I shouldn't be ogling at her breasts without her knowledge, like a creep. Damn but the way her top was sticking to her body. No! No! I squeeze my eyes closed and start shaking my head, trying to forget the image and act normal.

"You okay?" I open my eyes to find her staking a seat beside me, not opposite to me but beside me. So close that I can smell her vanilla body wash from here. Mixed with a little scent of citrus shampoo. I've smelled this in her hair before. And hell if it isn't the most intoxicating thing.

She is looking at me with her round green eyes waiting patiently for an answer. Clearing my throat, I nod and answer, "Yeah. I'm fine, " giving her a tight smile.

She tucks a lock of her hair behind her ear and asks, "you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm cool." I close the laptop and push it away from in front of me. "I came home early so I was playing with Bear. Is that ok?"

Frowning she looks at me and says, "of course. You dont have to ask me for playing with Bear. He likes you."

"And does Bear's mommy like me?" I ask in a flirty way.

"Well, that's a controversial topic." She says with a straight face, with mischief twinkling in her eyes. We both start laughing at that comment.

Folding my arms on the tabletop, I lean forward and ask. "So, got any plans on Saturday?" I hope not. I so want to spend some time with her. Saturday seems to be perfect because we do not have work on Sunday.

"Actually, yes, " she presses her lips together into a thin line. "Why though?" She reaches put and pours herself a glass of water.

"No reason, " I shrug, casually, successfully hiding my disappointment, I think. "What are your plans though, if you dont mind sharing?"