CHAPTER FIFTEEN

AVERY

That was Monday, it's been three days since. We haven't argued since that night at the pool, barely even talked. There's always this tension between us that we can't ignore. I feel it and I know he feels it too.

Right now, I am sitting in the living room with a book in my hand. Arranging, cushions on both the sides and my lap, I've made myself comfortable on the couch. My feet rest on the centre table. It's quite late. Today I didn't have much work, so I'm not that tired. Moreover, it's been a long time since I spent some time, reading.

I hear the sound of the car stopping and instantly recognise it as Dylan's. Soon, the front door opens and he comes stomping into the living room. "I don't give a fuck. Just make it happen!" He shouts into the phone, held at his ear and stomps past the couch. "I am really not in the mood to do this right now, got it?" He snaps again. He seems pretty mad. I haven't ever seen him this furious. He climbs up the stairs and disappears behind the wall.

Putting the book on the couch, I follow him. While I'm still on the stairs, I hear his bedroom door slam. However, I continue moving until I'm in front of his room. Before entering, I wait a few minutes to hear the commotion going on inside. Only some hushed sounds are coming through the wood. Not waiting anymore, I turn the doorknob and peep in.

There's Dylan, standing in the middle of the room, with his tie loosened, his blue shirt, half-open revealing his chest and his black coat on the floor along with the covers and pillows which were thrown off the bed. "Dylan?" I call, cautiously.

He stops tugging at his tie and looks at me, "what are you doing here?" Ignoring his question, I step in and close the door behind me.

"What's all this?" I ask.

"Stay out of it, " he says, breathing heavily.

"Stop trying to solve everything on your own, " I snap.

"Stop trying to interfere in everything, " he grits through his teeth.

"You better stop with that attitude of yours, Dylan. I'm not going to ridicule you if you share things with me. You can't just expect me to behave the way your mood is. Sometimes you want me to be with you, sometimes you tell me to leave. You gotta stop this and please explain the condition of this room." I cross my arms and stand there, tapping my foot on the floor.

"What am I supposed to do?!" He yells

"How am I supposed to tell if you don't say what it's about?" I retort.

He takes in a deep breath and mutters softly, "my mom's Doctor called." My heart sinks. Uncrossing my arms, I take a few smalls steps towards him.

"And?"

"Her condition has deteriorated rapidly..." He says. A slight gasp escapes my lips.

"Dylan, " he looks at me with red eyes. I gently wrap my fingers around his wrists and lead him to sit at the edge of the bed.

As he sits, he looks up at me and his eyes start getting watery, "I'm scared." His voice comes out in a defeated whisper. My chest tightens and I feel tears starting to build.

"I know..." I nod and cup his face in my palms. "But you have to be strong, Dylan."

"I can't. How much ever I try, I can never prepare myself for this." He ends with a hiccup and a tear escapes from his eyes. I bring my thumb and gently, rub it away.

"No one can. But there is another person who is going through the same. Your father. He is watching his life partner die. The person he promised to spend his entire life with, his wife. It's not easy for him either. If you break down in this way, then who will support him?" More tears flow down his face, each boring holes in my chest. "And I am here for you, okay?" He stares into my eyes some more before nodding slowly. "Just promise me one thing, you won't close off. Your father needs you right now. And I can assure you once you make the mistake you're going to regret it for the rest of your life." I remember closing off after Marc's death. Never did I once stop to think that his parents were going through the same. They lost their child. They moved from here and after that, I didn't try to contact them. Their pathetic faces reminded that I caused the pain they are going through. I close my eyes and take a deep breath in.

"Avery?" Dylan calls.

I open my eyes and look at him. "Hmm?"

"Is that why you stopped at the graveyard on the wedding day? Because you wanted to share it with your parents? " I still. Right there. Unable to comprehend, what he just said, I stare at his face, blankly.

"W-what?" I whisper. My throat dries up.

"Is that why you stopped there?" He repeats.

I gulp and sit down beside him on the bed. Looking away from his face, I focus on the faded green wall. He stares at me, waiting for me to answer and I sit there preventing myself from running away. "Those weren't my parent's grave." My throat closes up some more. Dylan goes silent, completely still. I know he has a lot of questions for me but I need to complete first. "That was Marcus, my best friend. I told you about him that night at the pool. He is the love of my life. He is everything to me. Right from the day my parents died, he was there beside me, holding me through all the highs and lows. I just..."

At this point, I have no other option other than to run. I doubt how long I can hold back the sobs.

I jolt up from my position and stride forward but long fingers immediately wrap around my wrists halting me. Dylan spins me around, pulls me to his chest and wraps his arms tightly around me. I feel his lips touch the top my head when mutters softly, "I'm here." That's all it takes before I break down in his arms.