CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

AVERY

It's been almost six days since my accident. I've recovered surprisingly fast. I can walk without my crutches though I do feel pain if I press the wound around my ankle. I can walk normally but run or stuff like that is still off the list. The rest of the bruises are fading away just the big cut on my forehead is probably going to leave a big mark. I wanted to get well as soon as possible so I took this week off. Brad insisted I stay home and rest. One of the reasons was that too.

Mrs Griffin has been taking care of me, Melissa's been calling every day to check on me. Everything is slowly getting back to normal. Yes, normal except for Dylan. We haven't talked since my little outburst. Nor do I have a plan of talking to him. I've been eating in my room, and just started going down for the meals to the dining table since this morning. Dylan wasn't there for lunch, of course. It seems like he's been ignoring me. Even if he is, I don't blame him.

I heard him come back though. It's been almost an hour since he got back. Lately, that's all I've been doing. Sitting here all day, watching films and paying attention to these sounds.

I open my door and step out into the hallway. His door is closed. I haven't seen him at all since that day. He didn't come to check on me or anything. In case he wants to convey anything, he has Mrs Griffin act as the communicator. I would say I'm sick of it and complain about it but am I not the one to blame here? Yes, I am.

Also, did I mention I've been having mixed emotions about my decision? Initially, I was regretting my decision and questioning it over and over again but now, I don't think I did something wrong. Dylan has been acting as if nothing ever happened between us. If he can change so much within a moment, I can't even think about what happens when I have to leave which I have to.

I've officially started paying attention to my plan of moving to Florida. I've been going through a lot of places to stay. Different houses which are on sale and the locality and stuff.

Removing my eyes from his door, I begin to make my way downstairs. It's already after ten. I had my dinner, as usual Dylan wasn't there. Mrs Griffin went home already. I was searching for one of my salmon coloured tops. It must have gotten mixed with Dylan's clothes. I didn't want to go up to him right away before I check the laundry room. Maybe it is somewhere down there.

On reaching the laundry room, I twist the doorknob and enter. My eyes fall on the pile of clothes on the washer machine in a little basket. All of Dylan's stuff. Leaving the door open, I walk up to the machine and start shuffling through the clothes in search of my shirt.

"Hey." I jump and spin around with a shriek, startled. Dylan is standing behind me with a tinted grey shirt, that he seems to love, and his loose trousers. His hair is wet and I can see a few droplets hanging from the strands above his head.

"Woah. I didn't hear you come down" I say. I press my hand against my chest, trying to bring my rugged breath under control. I want to ask him where he was the whole day or better yet, the whole week. How long is he going to ignore me? But who am I to do that?

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. What are you doing here?" His tone is flat and cold. I remember hearing this voice before, it was during the very early days of our wedding, seems so far away now. His hands are tucked in his trouser pockets and it seems like he is really uncomfortable.

I turn around and resume my search, "I can't find a shirt. I thought it might have gotten mixed with your stuff."

"Oh..." He says and steps in. I hear the door click behind me but keep going. The laundry room is too small. Especially this part between the door and the machine where the door takes up most of the place. "I needed to ask you something."

"I'm all ears, " I mumble without turning back. Not just him but I'm neither trying to have a conversation with him. It's better off the table for now.

"Now that you are pretty fine and you haven't gone out of the house for a week, I was wondering if you would like to attend a charity event tomorrow. It's in Mike's office. I understand if you don't want to. No pressure."

I stop for a while to think about it. The terms of the agreements flash in front of me. I am supposed to act like his wife in public. The contact also said that I would have to attend these social events with him. Well yes, we are going strictly professional.

I turn my head sideways and look at him from the corner of my eyes. "I will. Don't worry."

I see him nod his head several times and mutter, "cool." He starts turning around and I go back to my search. I just hope after being able to be close to him and 'acting' his wife, I don't fall weak. The whole motive of pushing him away would not make any sense then.

"Oh and..." I stop and turn my head to look at him, "my mom wanted to see you. You know after hearing about your accident, she couldn't come so if you have time next week, can you go see her?"

"Sure. I need to see her once more anyways. I haven't spoken to her in long."

"Thanks," he says and spins around towards the door. I don't like the way things are right now, with him acting so cold towards me. I know I might have instigated this thing. And in my head, I had a valid reason. Well, a valid fear but was I not afraid of this treatment too?

I hear the shuffling noise behind me a few times. Frowning I turn around to find Dylan tugging at the doorknob. Taking a step sideways I ask, "what happened?"

He looks at me with a horrified expression and says, "the door isn't opening!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sleepy😴