CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

DYLAN

"Mom?" I call her gaining her attention. She looks at me and immediately a beautiful smile lights up her face. Avery was right, I could do anything to see this smile. No amount of fear and pain matters in front of this.

"Dylan?" She struggles to sit up but groans and falls back. I am already off my feet, running towards her.

Rushing to her side I hold her shoulders, supporting her and say, "Careful Mum. You need to take care of yourself." I gently lay her back down on her pillows that are arranged to support her as she sits up.

"I know honey. I am good now that you are here, " she whispers, gently placing her thin hand on my cheek. I place my hand on hers and feel my eyes sting with tears.

"I'm sorry, Mum. I was scared." My voice breaks and I suck in a deep breath, tightening my hand on hers.

"It's alright, Dylan. I knew you would come. That's all matters now. And please don't cry, " she says as a drop escapes and rolls down my cheek. Although I quickly wipe it off, she notices. "I want you to have good memories of me when I leave." She let's her hand fall onto her side.

"Mom please, " I beg her to stop in a shaky voice. Knowing that these are one of the last few moments I would be spending with my mom, everything seems harder. I dont even know how I would hold up when -

I shake off the ugly thoughts and focus on spending some time with my mom. Dad is not holding up very well either. I know that. He just never shows how hurt he is. They love each other so much. I am often mesmerized by how he loves mom more with every passing day.

I have heard their love story, quite often since I was a child, from my uncle, my father and even one of their friends. My Dad was married once before he met mom. They dont talk about her much though but as much as I know, she left Dad and that broke him. It won't be too wrong to say that my mom basically cured him.

"Okay sorry." She removes the pained face and puts up a jolly expression before asking, "You didn't tell me Olivia's name was Avery, " mom accuses me.

I can't help but let out a laugh at that. Olivia and her name. Shaking my head I say, "her name is Olivia, mom. Avery is her middle name. That crazy girl doesn't like her first name."

"So you call her that?" She asks giving me an amused look. I purse my lips to hold in my smile and nod my head. Finding it funny, mom throws her head back and laughs loudly. I have always seen my mom happy and jolly so never did I understand how precious her laughter is. I took it for granted but right now, I wish I could stop the time right here and keep her with me.

"Like father like son, " she laughs shaking her head and continues, "I hated your father with every bone of my body when I first met him. He gave me a broken leg, didn't get my name correct and refused to apologise for anything. So, I pretty much didn't have anything to like except the fact that he was hot."

My eyes widen and my ears turn heated out of embarrassment. My mother has always been this outspoken and didn't really have a filter on her mouth but I can never get used to this. She laughs even harder looking at my expression.

Chuckling lightly, I shake my head, "Avery too didn't take an instant liking in me when we first met." Although mom thinks we met at my office, the case is the same. Our first meeting wasn't in the most convenient way and Avery from the very first moment implied her dislike towards me which intensified after I presented the postnuptial agreement to her.

"But I am glad she married you. I dont even know how I would be able to be at peace knowing that you are probably deciding to stay alone for the rest of your life." She laughs a bit with that but whatever she said only takes my mind to the lie and the root of my relationship with Avery which lately I've found myself, ignoring.

"I am glad she agreed to marry me too," I say softly, looking at the bedside lamp which is lighting up the room. She saved me that day by agreeing to marry me. For the matter of fact, I wouldn't be happier if it was Julie marring me that day. Julie is beautiful and smart but there is something about Avery that intrigued me. There was an instant pull. When she looked at me with her green eyes, I saw much more in them than I've ever seen in anyone's eyes. They had a unique depth but it was not something happy, I knew. Yet I wanted to dig deeper in. The first time I kissed her, our first dance, everything seemed to be happening in an oddly fashioned way, as if meant to be. Lately, things have started becoming so different. We are getting closer to each other and for the first time, it is so effortless. I feel her pulling away from me a few times, but there's something that brings her back.

I didn't even realize I was smiling until my mom says, "you love her, dont you?" I nod slowly still smiling until I suddenly snap out of it and my eyes widen. I look at my mom astounded as to what I just said but quickly stop myself from saying 'no'. In front of mom, our relationship is just a normal one. I get puzzled for a brief moment but I shake it off.

"Yeah, yeah I do, " I stammer and give her a tight smile. Her smile vanishes at my reacting and she frowns placing her hand on my knee.

Caressing my knee she says, "is everything okay between the two of you? Why did you give that reaction?"

I let out nervous laughter and quickly make up an excuse. "I just dozed off for a moment so I didn't realize what you were saying."

She laughs out loud and says, "my boy is whipped."

******

I walk down the stairs with a smile on my face until my eyes fall on the glass doors towards the patio wide open. Dad went into mom's room a while ago and he is there ever since so I know who is out. I dont know why my heart picks up speed as I start towards her. Today I almost accepted that I loved her, not to my mom as a lie but to myself as truth. I indeed feel for Avery and the feeling is extremely strong but I dont think it is love. I have known her just for a while now. It's not that. Not yet.

I step out into the patio and a cool wind crashes onto my face giving me chills. I look around to find her sitting on the balustrade with one leg in either side. Her head is turned away though, she is starting into the far green fields which are extended up to miles from here. I dont know how someone can keep from falling for this girl. Not just for her outer beauty, but also inner.

Hearing my footsteps, she turns her face in my direction and climbs off the railing, taking a small step towards me with worry written all over her face. Even in this dim lighting out here, I can see her green depths searching for some kind of expression. Without saying anything, I take huge strides and pull her into a hug. I wrap my arms around her waist almost pulling her off her feet and push my face into the crock of her neck. I fail to stop myself from smelling her. She feels so familiar and like home.

Caught off guard, she doesn't hug me back immediately but when she does, she holds me tight enough to not let go. Her hand starts to careers my back and I let out a shaky breath. Tears start to flow down my eyes falling on her bare shoulder but she doesn't flinch. She just holds me there, as if she knows that's what I need. I am sad for my mother but I am extremely overwhelmed by this whole situation overall. It's just too much too take right now and are coming out as salty drops.

"It's ok. Shh!" Her sweet voice whispers near to my ear calming my nerves. I take my time before finally pulling away. I dont like crying in front of anyone, but I needed this out, it was a mixture of my frustration for the past few days. I wipe my eyes hastily and look down at her. She gently places her hand on my cheek and asks, "how are you feeling?"

"Lighter. It feels like a heavy thing has been lifted off my chest. It did hurt but her happiness was all worth it." For starters, I realized how childish of me it was to be running away from my mother when she is battling with death. I probably wouldn't have realised my stupidity if not for Avery. She doesn't even know but she gives me the strength to hold my shit together.

"That's great. I am so happy you did it." Her warm hand leaves my cheek, making me want to put them back there but I dont. She smiles warmly at me and blinks away some tears.

"Thank you, " I say.

"It's nothing. You don't have to thank me for this."

No really, is it possible to fall for someone so fast? I might lean towards a 'yes'.