CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

DYLAN

"The door isn't opening," I screech. Pressing my leg against the wall, I pull the door with all my force. The handle hurts my palm and it starts to throb a little. I straighten up and rub my hands together. "Damnit!" I place my hand back on the handle and pull it once more but it doesn't budge.

"What do you mean?!" Avery yells near my ear. Her voice seems louder in this little place.

Turning my body face her, I throw my hands into the air and say, "I mean the door isn't opening..!" How hard is it to understand?

"Why would— shit!" Her eyes fall on me and widen. Her mouth opens and her jaw hangs low. She brings her hands to her head and squeezes her eyes closed. For a moment I get worried if she is having a headache or something.

"What?" I ask, frowning. My attention is completely focused on her now. I know she is not having the headaches but if she does, then I need to take her to the doctor this week. Removing her hand that was guarding her face, she looks up.

"The lock wasn't working! Why did you close the door?" She exclaims. I take a moment before realization strikes and my eyes widen.

"What?!"

"Mrs Griffin told me that the lock wasn't working! About two weeks ago!" She throws her hands into the air and huffs.

"And you are telling me now?!" I screech.

"I didn't remember. Moreover, it's your house, not mine so you should know!" She snaps. Shooting a last glare, she starts rubbing her forehead. I scowl at her before putting my hand on the handle and pulling again. The door doesn't even make a simple noise.

"There is no way we are locked in here," I say, stepping back after my tenth try. I put my hand on the machine behind me and lean against that.

Avery walks towards the door and says, "Let me try." I cross my arms against my chest as lift an eyebrow at her. She reaches for the handle but on noticing my expression, snaps, "what? I can't be stronger than you?" I move to her side.

"Of course you can but stronger than a broken lock, and a wooden door this thick, I doubt, " I give her nonchalant one-shouldered lift and lean against the wall with my body turned towards her so that I can see her struggle with the door. Her wounds have healed but I'm sure they'll pain if she gets hurt again. She pulls the door, hard, her face turning red. She keeps pulling it some more. Even puts her feet against the wall and pulls the way I did, but the stubborn door doesn't budge. A groan escapes her lips before she lets go of the door and straightens up. Her breaths have turned ragged, and her face flushed. I've been glaring at her the whole time for trying something like this. It could've easily hurt her wounds but at the same time I couldn't stop her, 'cause it's no more my place to say. "Oh look now the door is opened. Let's go up to our rooms and sleep," I say in a mocking tone.

She shifts her glare from the door to me and then after a little pause, cries out,  "What do we do now?!"

Sighing, I look around the room, trying to think of a way before bringing my attention to her and asking, "Do you have a phone?"

"Yes, I bring my phone to the laundry room with me." She gives me a sarcastic nod, crossing her arms against her chest and rolling her eyes. She needs to throw tantrum even when caught in this position.

"I don't either."

She takes a few steps back and leans, resting the back of her head against the wall. I stand there contemplating my options when she says in a sharp voice, "I don't know just get me out of here!"

She is really getting on my nerves. Clenching my jaw, I say, "Yeah wait let me grab my magic wand, maybe I can do something to make this door turn into liquid." Rolling my eyes at her, I start marching back and forth in the little space beside the elevated spot.