CHAPTER SEVEN

"I don't know what to say..." Brad sighs looking away. He found out about this marriage pretty much on yesterday but wanted to know it from me instead. I've been filling him in with everything that happened yesterday, of course leaving out that postnuptial agreement part. Although I hate to admit it, the agreement kind of gave me peace of mind to an extent. Knowing that I will be out of this thing in three months, makes it a hell lot easier.

"I guess it's better for you to not say anything, " I tilt up my head in his direction to register his expression. His jaw is tight and I can infer that the maximum part of his anger is directed towards Julie.

"I guess I should get back to my clinic then," he says. Clapping both the hands-on his knees, he stands up. I keep staring at his face while he refuses to look at me. Finally bringing his attention to me, he says in a firm voice, "any problem, call me. Dont think twice."

"Okay. I promise." I smile up at him knowing that he means every single word. Leaning across the desk, he softly plants a kiss on the top of my head and leaves my office.

I walk up to the window and sit there staring out at the lake that is behind the hospital. Although the lake is encircled by a thick cover of trees, it is visible from here. I can see the ripples forming on the surface of the clean water and the daylight reflecting on them, creating a spectacle imitating a bed of pearls arranged in circles.

I picked up Bear from my uncle's this morning on my way to the hospital. My aunt helped them pack my and Bear's stuff yesterday and bring it over to Dylan's. So, today shall be Bear's first day there. For right now, he is in the other room playing with other pets. He is quite an active dog and that makes it even harder not to love him. Sighing, I leave the window and get back to work.

The day passes on pretty well and it's one of the lucky days when we didn't find half-dead animals at the front gate, left carelessly to die. Two of the dogs are taken away by the new boy who shifted in the neighbourhood. It feels good to see that all those sweet creatures who were once abandoned by someone is going somewhere where they will be loved and nurtured from now on. We drive back to Dylan's place, me and Bear. But I am worried if Bear's presence will be a problem to Dylan. After all, he wasn't very ecstatic about the fact that I had a dog.

I park my car in the garage and pick up Bear in my arms from the back seat. I can see his curious eyes searching for familiar surroundings. I enter the house through the door on the garage wall, that opens into the front part of the house.

"Oh my God! Is that your dog?" I hear the enthusiastic voice of Mrs Griffin from the far end and look up to find her hurrying across the living room towards us, with an expression of pure awe. I smile and nod at her, caressing Bear's fur gently.

"His name is Bear."

"Can I hold him?" She holds out her arms for me to pass Bear. I smile and pass him to her.

"He doesn't bite," I say when Bear wiggles a bit in her arms.

"Well. Well. Isn't he such a lovely dog?" I love how Mrs Griffin is completely whipped by my pup. Just I am worried about Dylan. It doesn't matter though. If he can't love Bear then I'm sure I will be convinced he has no softness inside him.

"Yeah..." I say, and follow Mrs Griffin as she carries Bear in her arms to the kitchen. I drop my shoes and my bag near one of the couches in the living room and continue behind them.

Mrs Griffin puts bear on a stool and I sit on the other vacant one, keeping my hands on the countertop. Mrs Griffin steps near the oven and picks up the knife and starts chopping onions. "Do you want anything?"

"No thank you I am good," I answer politely. "So you're making the dinner?"

"Uh, yeah it'll be ready soon," she says giving me a small smile.

"Cool. Do you need some help?" I offer.

"No, honey. I am good."

"Okay, then I think I should take Bear up to my room. Dylan sort of has a problem with him being out." I sigh and begin to get up.

"I am sure that's not it. Dylan loves dogs." My eyebrows furrow and I turn my head towards her with a questioning look. Noticing the confusion on my face, she continues. "He even had one when he was young. It wasn't the small one like Bear." Letting out a small laugh, she wipes the corner of her eyes with the back of her hand. I wonder if I made her cry but, to my relief, I notice the chopped onions in front of her. "He was such a big dog and Dylan loved it. It was with him until Dylan turned 16 when the dog died."

"Oh, God. That's so sad." I shake my head.

"Yeah, but after losing Buddy, Dylan didn't bring home another pet."

I frown and look down at my hands resting on the counter, involuntarily picking at my nails. "He doesn't seem to be someone like..." I say in a low tone, barely audible.

"You don't like Dylan at all, do you?" asks Mrs Griffin. I look up from my hands and stare at her face, unable to comprehend an appropriate answer to her question. On receiving no answer from me, she looks away and goes back to chopping while I avert my attention to my hands, again. Not looking at me this time, she says, "I know you are not the one he was supposed to marry." My head snaps up. From everyone's reaction as well as the entire base of this marriage, I assumed no one knew anything about the whole 'change-of-bride' facade.

Moreover, just when she asked if I like Dylan, I didn't answer. I am probably making it worse. She might think if me like a gold-digger. But there was not a tinge of accusation in her tone. As if like she was just informing me that she knows. "But I am glad it's you who he married." Dumbfounded by all the things she is saying I do nothing but watch her blankly.

"What do you mean?" The question comes out in a mere whisper.

She rubs her hand on the kitchen towel and stands right opposite to me at the corner of the counter. "Look, I've seen the way he is with you but I have also seen him since he was a seven-year-old kid. And from that knowledge of mine, I assure you, that the Dylan you know is not who he is. He is faking his hard exterior for sure. He doesn't want you to see his vulnerable side but just because it isn't showing doesn't mean it doesn't exist. He is... worried about some stuff right now and I think he should share. That boy has a soft heart, you believe me or not. And it's not like he always fakes this hard exterior. But somehow I sense the reason is more than just what I think."

"What reason?"

"I dont know that but I think you should give him a chance, honey." She reaches across the countertop and softly pats my hand. "Will you do that?"

I so want to claim her wrong. Tell her about the agreement. Tell her that everything that man knows is money and power. Tell her the way he blackmailed my family into this deal. Tell her how much I hate him. But more than any of these reasons, Dylan is the man who took that place in my life which was ought to belong to only one person. He is the one who will be my companion for the next three months, even though on pen and paper. "He doesn't want me to like him. He hates me. Our marriage was just an accident. It wouldn't matter if I give him a chance or not." I turn my head and focus on the semi-white wall on the right, to avoid her gaze.

"I don't think- Dylan?" Her eyes are no more on me but at the door, behind me. I turn around following her gaze to see Dylan standing there glaring at me.