CHAPTER TWENTY

He stomps past me and slams his bedroom door shut before I could say something. I guess I really didn't have anything left to say. I stare at the closed wooden door and let the events since the morning replay in my head. Yes, I indeed broke down in front of Dylan and yes I didn't want it to happen. But can I blame him for that? He was actually trying to comfort me. The way I was trying to comfort him. He never forced me to say anything. I did, on my own will. He opened his heart in front of me, shared his pain with me, let me hold him. And I can't deny the fact that I wanted him to do that. Now that he is doing the same, why can't I let him?

As I am about to take a step towards Dylan's room, Marc's face flashes in my head along with all the promises I once made of which one was that I would never let myself get attached to anyone. And here, with Dylan, I am more than attached. Moreover, if I go in now, I should keep in mind that Dylan wants to help me. I am the reason why Marc isn't alive right now. I don't deserve to be comforted by anyone.

I spin around on my heel, and step into my room instead, quickly closing the door behind. I don't even want to be tempted to walk across the hall and knock at Dylan's door. It's best if things are this way between us. I am going to leave after the contract gets over anyways. Why bother? I think it would be better if I pull the brakes on myself right now and let Dylan be the stranger I got married to.

The fact that today at Marc's grave I couldn't accept my feelings for Dylan, has me worried, a bit too much. It's not like I am developing some kind of romantic feelings for Dylan, just kind of ones a girl would develop for a man as attractive as Dylan. But only if it was just physical attraction...

I quickly shake its way, keep my purse on the bedside table and climb into my bed. I pull out the phone, turn up the volume and keep it beside the purse. I silenced it when I was at the graveyard. I curl up into a ball and lay in the middle of the bed, pulling my knees close to my chest. I want to think about Marcus. I know that hurts but that is the point, isn't it? Even then why is Dylan constantly popping up in my head? Groaning, I bury my head in between my knees and chest, closing my eyes.

MY PHONE STARTS ringing. I pull my head out and glance at towards the bedside table. I must have fallen asleep in that position. Pushing up on one elbow, I reach over and grab it. Melissa's name flashes up on the screen.

"Hello?"

"What the fuck is going on?!" I flinch as her loud yell cuts through the receiver.

"What..?" I ask, confused. I have no idea what she is talking about. Did Brad say anything to her? But how can that be? They don't talk.

"What did that sorry ass of your husband do?" She growls.

"What-?"

"C'mon Avery, don't play dumb. You wouldn't run to the graveyard for nothing!" She knows.

"How did you know?" I ask quietly.

"Your husband called from Brad's phone..."

"Dylan called you? From Brad's phone?"

"Yeah...he did."

"What did he want?"

"To know if you were with me. What were you thinking lady?"

Sighing heavily, I sit up, cross-legged. Placing my elbow on my thigh, I rest my forehead on my palm. The strands of hairs that have escaped the loose knot, fall in front of my face. Holding my phone to the ear, I say, "I told him about Marcus."

Melissa goes silent on the other end. I wait patiently for reaction, letting her soak it all in. She knows pretty well I haven't talked to anyone about it since that day. The people who knew never tried to ask me after they realised that I won't say anything.

"You told him..?" Her voice comes out in a mere whisper. I would have probably missed what she said if I hadn't paid attention.

"Yeah. I did, " I answer in a low tone and bring my hand to down on the bedsheet and start picking on it with my nails.

"Avery, tell me everything!" Melissa's anxious voice reaches my ears. I tell her everything about Dylan's mom and everything that happened last night.

"I don't think, I should have reacted that way..." I accept it to her and myself. "I feel terrible."

"Avery..."

"Hmm?"

After a long pause, she says, "you can just apologize to him."

"I don't know Meli, I took it too far..." Now that I have told her what happened and actually got the opportunity to hear how fucked up I sound, I realise it. If it was bothering me that much, then I could have talked to him! It's Dylan, for god's sake!

She sighs heavily on the other end and says, "I really don't know what to say, Avery. Maybe we could talk when I get there on Monday?"

"Yeah okay."

"Bye, girl. Take care."

"You too, Meli."

I keep the phone and climb off the bed. While leaving the room, my eyes fall on Dylan's door. I contemplate the idea of apologizing to him but maybe I should let him cool down for a while. Deciding to leave him alone for a while, I go downstairs. As I saunter into the living room, I find Mrs Griffin dusting the bookshelf under the TV. I already feel ashamed. She must have seen all that was going on, what must she be thinking about me, now?

"Avery!" She calls on noticing me. She quickly scurries across the room towards me. "Are you okay, honey?" She looks genuinely worried with no tinge of judgement in her eyes.

"Yes. I am. I wanted to say sorry for everything." I glance down at my feet.

"Oh no. I understand, honey. Some things take time..."

I look up and give her a tight smile. "I didn't check but is Dylan in his room?"

"No, he left for work."

"Oh.."

"And he said he would be having dinner outside tonight." She glances at me and continues, "which I am assuming is not for any meeting..." I understand what she means. So now Dylan is going to ignore me...

Damn you, Avery!