CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

DYLAN

Yes, Dylan, she is wearing a thong- a red thong, to be specific- under this dress but you have to stop thinking about that now.

Wondering why my mind is going to all the wrong places? Well, for starters I saw a glimpse of it at home and secondly, I am running out of topics to think of and keep myself busy. Avery and Katy are picking up Brad's bad habits and laughing about them. That would be fun to hear but knowing the fact that both of them like him enough, even after all that, makes me the odd one out to join. Though you can not look at me and say if I am paying attention or not. I pretty much planned my next week schedule in my mind just by sitting through this dinner. Yeah, I am bored to death. I dont even know why I am doing this. Right, for Avery. Why? Because I am confused. Yes, she is my wife but only for three months. Yes, I am attracted to her but I have been attracted to many girls before her. And yes, I like her company but I do not feel anything more than that. It's strictly professional. Yes, that's what it is. Three months, deal over. I dont even want to kiss her again... that's a lie.

God! I am so confused!

"Excuse me. I'll be back from the washroom." Avery says and gets up. You have got to be kidding me! My head snaps towards her. She cannot be doing this to me! I don't usually get awkward meeting new people. That's a part of what I do every day but this isn't a first time meeting or a business meeting. Moreover, Brad...? Not someone to my liking.

"Hey, mind if I tag along?" Katy says and gets up along with her tiny purse in hand. She seemed pretty nice, polite and soft-spoken. Not how Avery is surely but the idea of her dating Brad just doesn't fit. I mean it's not like I know Brad very well or something but I am a pretty good judge of character. It would've fit much better to see him with someone rebellious.

Avery looks at back and forth between me and her friend and then says, "No. Not a problem." They start to walk away but Avery gives me a pleading look before disappearing behind the wall. I know she is worried we will throw hands at each other or something. I'm not saying there isn't a possibility but that is provided the rude kid says something to me. I am matured enough not to start a fight.

Silence falls between the two of us and no, it's not what they call 'comfortable silence'. It's more like silence in desperate tries of ignoring each other. I would have had a healthy conversation with him but our first meeting has led us to a point where I can't think past exactly how rude he is to have come into my house and blamed me for something I didn't do. All through the evening, we shared a few cold glances and that's it. And no, my hatred does not have anything to do with the texts that night...right?

I take a sip of my drink when Brad speaks up, "So you stalking her huh?"

Frowning, I give him a confused look. "Stalking whom?" What's he gonna play now?

He lifts an eyebrow as if to indicate that he knows I am lying, which by the way I am not. "Avery." My frown deepens and I sit up straight.

"No. Why would you say that?" My voice turns serious and heavy in a fraction of seconds. I don't think Brad would be joking about Avery.

"Oh man, I know you have someone following her everywhere she goes." He tries to joke but goes silent when he realises that I am not joking.

"What?" My voice has reduced to a mere whisper. I'm half confused and half scared.

"Yeah. Black truck. I've seen it." His eyes start searching for my face. "Every day when she goes to work." By the end of this line, I am more scared than anything. All along I thought it was over, and now...