CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

DYLAN

I'm out.

Mike: Cool, see you at my office.

I push the phone into my pocket and start the car. Bear is in the backseat. I didn't want Avery to go out today on her own, it just didn't seem safe. I know maybe the feeling is because I got to know about it yesterday but I can't ignore the fear. I needed to talk to Mike about the whole security thing. He needs to know that I am keeping it a secret from Avery.  So, I tried to get an appointment with him as soon as possible. I told Madelyn to get check with Mike's assistant and tell me. Ten minutes later, I get a call from him and he tells me to come over.

It's Sunday morning so I figured he would like this time off but he wanted me to come over instead. According to him, if I ever want to meet him, I call him not his assistant. We weren't that close in school. It happened through the way. Everyone became busy with each other's life but somehow, miraculously, we ended up together. Actually, it happened after a school reunion. Just we happened to remain in touch. Now, it won't be wrong to say that he is my best bud but I like to keep anything related to work at a professional level. So, making an appointment was my kind of thing.

I drive through the city, being a Sunday, the number of cars around this time is less. Especially around the place where Mike's office is. He happened to be in his office when Madelyn called and asked me to meet him there. I prefer it though. I wound not be comfortable knowing someone might overhear us. I look at the back seat through my rearview mirror to find Bear cleaning himself. Every Sunday after they return from the walk, Avery runs Bear through a bath. I've grown used to their little weakly thing. Last week though, she didn't take Bear out, she was still recovering from her hangover.

I see the gate of Mike's office come into view. I have a card which allows access to the inside of the building. Mike gave it to me because of our daily meetings. Although it expired after my marriage. We thought the problem was over and Mike blocked the card. So now I have to wait at the gate for verification. I slow down my car near the booth and roll down my window. The guard comes out of his cabin. "How may I help you, sir?"

"I have to meet my friend Mike Whitley. He is in his office. Can you confirm it?"

"Sure sir, give me a minute." He goes back to his desk and calls. I place my hand on the steering and start tapping the rim. I'm growing anxious with every second. I didn't feel good leaving Avery alone at home. I mean, Mrs Griffin is there, by now, probably but after last night, I didn't want to leave her side. It gives her too much time to overthink. I am sure this isn't the first time she is has had those type of dreams. I don't even know if she has any pills for that. I wish I knew what to do to help her. I wish she told me what to do. "Sir, " the guard calls. I pull out of my thoughts and look at him. "You may go in." He opens the gate and I drive-in.

I park my car in the parking lot and take Bear out of the backseat. He settles in my arms and I start towards Mike's office which is on the fifth floor. Yes, dogs are allowed in this building. I know because Mike himself had one a year ago which he used to bring in every day with him.

By the time I reach his office, Bear starts to look around the office. He is a good dog. Not violent, very obedient. We've bonded over a few play sessions in the backyard. Most of the time when Avery left him or I woke up early and let him out of Avery's room. I don't think she knows about it, though. Mike walks out of his office as a huge smile attached across his face. He isn't in his usual uniform, he is wearing casuals.  His eyes fall on Bear and wiggling his eyebrows, he says, "this little dude belongs to your Missus, I assume."

"Yeah. His name is Bear."

"C'mon in." He waves towards his office and we walk in. We both take a seat opposite to each other and he asks, " so what did you want to talk about?"

"I was wondering if we could give her security and keep it a secret from her. Just for a while." I ask. Bear curls up in my lap and lays his head in my hand.

"Why though? She is the one who has danger."

"I know but I don't want to stress her out with everything just yet. She already has a lot on her plate." She is struggling to get off her guilt. It's too hard for her. I don't want to bring in this topic and stress her out some more.

"Okay. I get you but you have to tell her sooner or later. Maybe you should consider sooner because she deserves to know if she is under any dangerous circumstance." The man got a point.

"I need to give her some time. You know with the marriage happening unexpectedly and all." I can't tell him about her last. It's not my place to tell. "She needs little time to adjust."

"Okay, I get it. I can tell them to follow her subtly while she goes anywhere."

"That would be fine."

"Okay. Now off business, you seem pretty whipped." He smirks and gestures towards Bear in my lap.

I laugh out loud and nod, "you could say that."

"I knew from the look you gave when you saw her for the first time walking down the aisle."

"Yeah well, I might be thinking about cancelling the agreement." I accept. His eyes widen and his face splits into a huge grin.

"No way!" He laughs. "What actually happened?"

"Nothing yet. I'm still getting to know her. It seems impulsive and all but I hate to have her think that this marriage is just a deal." Her words from last night start ringing in my ears. Even though I know she didn't mean anything she said, it hurts to know that somewhere in the back of her mind, she still believes it.

"Maybe a bit impulsive but who cares? If you like her, let her know."

"I have in a way but things are a little complicated. She is holding back and I don't know how to get her out of it."

Mike purses his lips and gives me a sympathetic look. I look down and run my hand over Bear's fur. "I'm sure you'll figure something out."

"I hope so..."

"Just don't give up, okay? I've seen you care this much about someone other than your family for the first time in years."

I slowly soak it in and with a smile forming on my face, I say, "she is kinda my family now."

Mike smiles back at me and asks about my mom. She is better now according to the doctor. She is improving but he said that the last time before she fell sick.  Maybe I am getting too worried about everything. I know everything will fall into place but I know that time hasn't come yet.

"Don't worry, it's going to be okay. Diana is a fighter." Mike has known my mom for a long time. Well, since we became best friends. He knows about the whole situation and obviously helped me out with everything I needed.

"Yeah—" my phone buzzing in my pocket cuts me off. I hold up Bear with one hand and pull the phone out with another. There is an incoming call from Avery's number. She never called me before this though. Neither did I. We just kept each other's numbers for emergencies. I slide my thumb across the screen and press it to my ear. "Hello?"

"This is Melissa. I'm sending you our location please come here as soon as possible."  I recognise her voice from the last time I spoke to her about a week ago. Why is Avery's phone with her? Is she at our house? Or is Avery out?

"Why? What's the matter? Is everything okay?" I am already on my feet and so is Mike. My heart is racing in my chest and my breathing has fastened. My whole body starts to shake.

"No, Avery got into an accident. It isn't that bad but I think you should come here."

"Send me the address. I'll be there in 10." I hang up hurry towards the door and Mike follows me. My phone buzzes with the incoming text and within two minutes, we are rushing towards the hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER SO FAR?

**It Might Be A Bit Too Early To Ask That But Is It Really? I Mean We Are In Chapter 36. Yayyyy! 👏

WITH YOU- I Never Had A Choice ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें