CHAPTER SIXTY EIGHT (Bonus)

DYLAN

"Yeah, she is awake now, " I say into the phone.

"Okay, go tell her. I am sorry, man, " Mike says.

"Hmm," I answer and disconnect the phone. I turn around and walk back into the hospital room. I push the door open and step in. My eyes fall on Avery. She is sitting on the bed, her bed is raised high, and looking down at her hands in her lap.

If Madelyn had shot me before Mike shot her, I won't be able to see my wife ever again. She has bruises on the left side of her face. That bitch did it. Mike said that it was better that I didn't kill her but even if I did, he would be able to manage 'cause it would be an act of self-defence then. That makes me regret why I didn't kill her. I should've. She tried to kill my wife. My Avery.

"Dylan..." Avery calls looking up.

I smile at her and walk up to her bed. "Hi." As I reach her, I ask, "How are you feeling?"

"Good, " she says in a raspy voice and gives me a small smile.

I sit on the edge of her bed and hold her hand in mine. Not because of what I have to say now but because of the need to just hold her. Now that everything is over for good, I have started to value her presence in my life even more. And I know I will appreciate her forever.

"I have to say something to you, " I say.

She nods slowly. "I'm all ears."

"This might come off as a shock..." She nods again and looks eagerly at me. "...someone was helping Madelyn."

"Who?" She asks softly. Her voice is timid. The tiredness can be particularly heard.

I purse my lips and say, "Madelyn's mother...Mrs Griffin." Avery gasps as her eyes widen.

"What?!"

I nod. "Mrs Griffin is her mother. I didn't tell you because it never came up. She has been helping her the whole time, in keeping track of you, informing her about where we are going, when I am at home when I'm not. She even tried to distract Jason by taking him to the outhouse so that Madelyn could get to you."

"Oh my god, " she lifts her hand to her mouth. I feel bad for her. Avery barely trusts anyone and Mrs Griffin was...well I can see how hurt she is. Avery's eyes start to fill with water and I immediately cup her cheeks.

"Hey, it's ok now. You are safe, " I say and run my hand gently on her right chin. The bruises on the left side of her face look bad, I have to be careful with them.

She sniffs a little and removes her hand from her mouth. "I am so sorry Dylan. I know you loved her." My heart melts at her words. I hold back the urge to kiss her right now. That can wait till we get home.

"Why are you sorry?" I ask. "You didn't do anything. Yes, I loved her but not more than you. And she clearly didn't love me or she wouldn't try to take away the person I care about the most."

A few sobs leave her lips and I scoot closer pulling her to my chest, still careful not to hurt her. "I am sorry. I don't know why I am crying so much but I am sorry. You don't need this right now." She sobs against my chest.

"All I need right now is you, baby. That's all I need, " I say and press my lips on the top of her head.

She slowly stops and pulls away. I gently rub the tears off her cheeks and say, "don't feel sorry for this okay? None of this was your fault."

"You won't blame yourself either." I smile at her words and nod. I don't want to bring any guilt between us anymore. I want us to move on from this.