CHAPTER FORTY

DYLAN

I enter the room and keep the last few books on the table in front of the couch. "Are you still not gonna talk to me?" I ask. She pretends not to hear me and keeps looking at her laptop screen. It's almost dinnertime. We are both having dinner up here. I could carry her down but I am not very sure of it. There are bruises all over her body. Carrying her is not the best option.

I've finally shifted her stuff into my room. She hasn't been talking to me since the morning. We even had lunch together but she kept trying to avoid me. I practically forced her to move into my room and it's not like we were staying too far anyway. Crossing a few feet and shifting into my room won't hurt.

I wait for her to say something and when she doesn't, I sigh and walk downstairs. Someone buzzes at the door and Mrs Griffin goes to answer. I wait at the bottom of the stairs to see who is coming in. Not very surprisingly, Brad walks in through the living room door. I was expecting him to stop by. "I was expecting you, " I wave him towards the couches.

"You need to tell me everything right now. I am not going to wait till Wednesday." I kinda hoped that he would demand it. And now that Avery knows about this situation, maybe not the whole, I dont have to worry about her overhearing it. I would've told her everything but she refuses to talk to me. I was kind of playing along but I need her to be serious when I explain the whole situation to her.

"Yeah. I will. Take a seat." I move to sit on the couch and Brad does too at the other end.

"Tell. Me. Everything. Now." Putting his hands on his knees, he waits for me to start.

"So, it all started when I decided to marry Julie. After we finally announced that we are getting married and the preparations for the wedding started, that's when we started feeling something is wrong. Soon enough, threats started coming. In the form of mails to my house and Julie's too. I talked with my friend and arranged security for both of us. Everything seemed to cool down for a while. But it started again. The threats no more came to me, they were being sent to Julie. Even one night, someone broke into her house. We couldn't find out who."

"Then why the fuck did you marry my friend?! Why did you have to bring her in this mess?!"

"Okay calm down. Let me explain. I had to get married. I can't tell you the reason, Avery knows it, dont worry about that. So, at that time, nothing really mattered. I didn't know Avery neither did I care about her." I see his jaw tick more. I know he is getting angry and I would've gotten angry too provided if I was in his position. "But now I do. You have to believe me here."

He stays silent so I continue, "after the wedding was over, the threats and everything stopped coming. We figured maybe it was Julie who was doing all that because she didn't want to get married to me."

"That bitch!"

"But it was not. Even if we think Julie did something like that, the car following Avery and the accident today, they cannot be explained. So, it isn't Julie."

"Then who is it?"

"We dont know yet. And until and unless we can stop that person, we need to be safe. So I am increasing the security here and even two bodyguards will be following Avery everywhere she goes."

He takes in everything and stays silent for a while. "That's good then. Thanks, " he says making me frown.

"Why are you thanking me?"

"Dylan, this marriage was surely a big deal and I didn't approve of you before and neither do I now. But if we are going to a place where Avery can be happy again, then I guess, I might approve of you. Moreover, I've seen her with you." I can't help but smile. I might have seen the difference in her behaviour but then again I've only known her for so less time. Her friends can surely tell the difference.