CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

AVERY

Groaning, I sit up on the bed. My head is aching very badly. I am feeling like there are ten huge rocks kept on the top of my head. My eyes are still squeezed closed as the sunlight is making it burn. Bringing my palms to my face, I tilt it down towards my lap. All of a sudden, a strong nauseous feeling hits my stomach, and bile rises my throat. I throw away the covers from my legs and fly towards the bathroom. Quickly putting up the toilet seat, I kneel and empty my whole stomach into the toilet. I am still puking when I hear someone enter the bathroom.

Two hands sweep away the hair from in front of my face and hold back when Dylan says, "It's ok. It's ok." He starts rubbing my back with one hand, holding my hair with the other. I dont want him to see me while in this condition. When I am done, I sit back leaning against the bathtub. I open my eyes to find Dylan at the sink, wetting a towel. He brings it to me and rubs my face and mouth with it.

"I can do it, " I say in a rough voice and take the towel from his hand. After cleaning my face and washing my mouth I flush the toilet and leave. Dylan helps me get back to the room and seats me on the bed.

"How are you feeling?" He inquires.

"Better..." I answer with a small nod. He nods and steps back then holds forward a round white tablet and a glass of water.

"Take this. You'll feel better." I dont argue. More like I dont have the energy to argue. I take the tablet and chug it down with water. "I've told Mrs Griffin to make a glass of lemon juice for you, " he says and keeps the glass on the table from my hand. I nod again. I am feeling so drained that I barely have any energy to talk. "Here. Lay down. Take rest for now. I'll send Mrs Griffin upstairs with the juice, " he arranges the pillows and gently lays me down. My eyes drift close and I let it.

*****

When I wake up again, it feels much better. It's clearly past noon now. I've been sleeping for quite long for sure. I glance at the side table to find a glass of lemon juice kept there. Mrs Griffin must have brought it up here when I was sleeping. I drink the whole thing before leaving my bed. My phone is on the bedside table but I don't look at it. I walk downstairs, no one's there in the living room. Bear is eating something from his bowl.

Mrs Griffin is not in the kitchen. I look around when I hear a faint rumbling. I follow the sound which leads me to another corner of the corridor. I find Mrs Griffin standing in front of the washer machine with a pile of clothes in the basket. I didn't know there was a laundry room here. On the right of the washer machine, the dryer is situated separately. As I reach the door, I greet, "Hi."

Mrs Griffin gasps and turns around. I quickly add. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to startle you." She lets out a light laugh, placing her palm on her chest and says, "oh no it's ok. I didn't hear you coming. How are you feeling now?"

"Better than before, " I answer politely.

"Did you drink the lemon juice?"

"Yeah. All of it. Thank you for that."

"You don't have to thank me, darling, " she smiles cheekily before turning back around. She begins the put the clothes into the washer.

"Where's Dylan?" I ask. I don't remember anything from last night. Just that I started drinking while waiting for him to get back home. Even this morning, I wasn't really in my senses. I wonder how he found me last night.

"Oh, he has a meeting, " answers Mrs Griffin.

"On Sunday?" Who works on Sunday?

"Yeah. He said it won't be too long. He'll be back by the evening."

I gently nod and look around the room. It's a tiny one with the machines on one side opposite to the door and an elevated place on the other side. I suppose it's for keeping the baskets. There's the small window beside that. The walls have a soft creamy colour. I lean against the door frame and ask, "where was Bear last night? I don't remember seeing him in the morning when I woke up."

"Before leaving I put him in your room but as much as I remember, Dylan let out Bear before you woke up. "

Damn. I don't remember anything from last night. After Mrs Griffin left last night, I went to the pool and started drinking. I remember that time when Dylan and I had a little heart to heart, it was beside the pool. I wanted to do something like that provided that he left home, mad. But I was far too anxious about this whole thing, that's when I started drinking. And I can't remember when I stopped. When did he come home last night? Was I wasted by the time he came home? At least I am sure he was the one who took me to my bedroom. There's no way Mrs Griffin could carry me. And the bodyguards or whoever they are in those black coats, they don't come into the house, at least I haven't seen them.

"By the way, your Uncle called. He said you weren't picking up his call and he wanted to talk to you." Mrs Griffin tells me.

"Oh ok. I'll go and call 'em" I say and turn around. "Should I close the door or leave it open?" I ask.

"No, leave it open. The lock isn't working."

"Oh ok," I say and head towards my bedroom. I know why they are calling me. They supposedly know about yesterday. I am not surprised though, 'cause as far as my family is concerned, they are all I have and Dylan doesn't know anyone else... Suddenly a thought strikes my head. I know they are my family but is Dylan now a part of it, provided that we are married? But the marriage was an accident and I'll be staying with him just for three months. Then what should I call him that doesn't sound weird? He is my husband but I don't know if he is a part of my family. It wasn't meant to be this complicated, was it?

When I reach my room, I unlock the phone, to find several missed calls from my Uncle and Aunt, two messages from Brad and one from Melissa. There are a few emails but I am sure they are work-related so I don't check them. I choose to open the texts before calling them.

Brad<3:
I have met someone. Someone really special and I want you to meet her.

Wow. Damn, I'm happy for him.

Call me tomorrow, sleep tight ;)

Meli ♡:
Can't wait to see you tomorrow babe <3.
Me:
Same here uwu.