Chapter 49

A/N: Okay, so clearly Enzo and Stella's tango scene is nowhere near the caliber in the video but the dance is amazing and I love this song. It's a dream of mine to learn the Tango. Not to mention being handled around the dance floor by a handsome man. *sigh*

****

The gala is in full swing when we arrive.

Women are dressed in gowns ranging from colors and styles, and the men in their tailored, custom suits. The masks also vary in colors and styles, and some are bedazzled with jewels and feathers.

My Uncle ensured that every one of his men had the same mask style, so they were easily identifiable in the mass crowd.

The spacious room is decorated beautifully, with cream and gold color accents. Thin, sheets hang, dipping throughout the ceiling, and the table centerpieces are kept simple but elegant with flower arrangements in short, square, clear glass vases.

The live band is playing mellow, Jazz music as the guests find their seats or exchange easy conversations with acquaintances, associates, and friends they come across.

As an honored guest, my Uncle gave a short speech and thanked everyone for attending, encouraging everyone to be generous in their donations.

I catch JP watching me a few times throughout the night, and a part of me wants to go to him, but I think some space will do us good. Our emotions are too high, and I don't want to say anything I'll regret.

Annalisa and I are ordering drinks at the bar after we spent some time on the dance floor when I feel someone come up behind me. For a moment, I think it's JP until I hear the voice.

"Would you care to dance, signorina?"

I turn around and see a dark-haired man with a mask over his face, and I stare into the familiar golden-hazel eyes.

I realize the mask he's wearing is the same as my Uncle's men. He holds his hand out for me, and I glance at Annalisa, who grins back at me. I take his hand, and he leads me to the dance floor.

"I hoped you wouldn't come tonight, Stella. But now that I see you in that dress, I have to tell you; you look stunning." He turns towards me, bringing me close as he moves his arm around me.

He places his warm hand against my bare back and brings my other arm out as we begin a slow dance. He moves fluidly and guides us across the dance floor easily, in a waltz.

"I told you, my Uncle is taking extra precautions. Speaking of which, where did you get the same mask that my Uncle's men are wearing?"

"Well, I hope it's enough. And...I may have borrowed it." He gives me a playful smirk.

I look up, studying his features as he looks down at me. His eyes through the mask are bright, and a small smile plays on his full lips. "You look like you're trying to figure out a hard math problem."

I laugh loudly and look back up at him. "I'm trying to figure you out. I think I know who you are, but I'm not sure..."

"You do know me, Stella." He breathes out my name. He brings our hands towards his chest while I move my other hand from his shoulder and lightly touch his face.

His eyes close at the contact my fingertips make with his skin. Being this close to him, with actual lighting, I can see a faint scar on the side of his face.

"Is it you, Enzo?" I ask quietly, and his eyes snap open at his name.

"You remembered."

"Of course, I remember. How can I forget? It's been a long time, yes, but your eyes, they are what I remember most about you, well that and the fact that I could kick your ass in a one-on-one basketball game." I tease, smiling.