Chapter 4

Okay, don't panic, I tell myself.

You've trained for this. You know what to do.

My dad made it a point to start training me in self-defense techniques and weapon training after moving in with my Uncle. Each day involved lots of running and different martial arts fighting techniques, ranging from Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Krav Maga.

He didn't want me to be unprepared if something were to happen again. I refused to shoot a gun at the beginning of training. I couldn't get past the sound reminding me of when mamma and I were running for our lives. 

Instead, I focused on knife fighting and throwing. Eventually, though, I gave in and learned to shoot and handle a gun, but my preference will always be a blade or dagger.

JP's unrelenting badgering for me to carry a gun or at least knife suddenly pops in my head. I can picture him shaking his head in disappointment right about now.

I look back at the masked man. I don't understand how he got in without being seen by my Uncle's men? Someone was standing just outside the bathroom door when I had come in, not too long ago.

Focusing back to my training, I briefly looking around and see there's a window. However, upon remembering that we are on the second floor, I know my only option to get out is to make it past this man.

I'm hearing myself breathing too hard and focus on slowing it down. My eyes move over the man's attire, hoping to see something that will tell me who he is or describe him if I make it—when I make it out of this.

"What do you want? I have money in my bag." My heart is hammering in my chest, but my voice sounds calmer than I feel, thankfully. I reach for my bag on the counter, but the man shakes his head, causing me to freeze.

He steps towards me slowly.

I set my feet, preparing for what's coming, and then I see the knife in his hand. My hands start to shake, but I force myself to calm down and tighten them into fists, taking a deep breath.

You got this, I tell myself.

The man lunges towards me and swings the knife forward. I move to my right and block his wrist with my arm, then push his hand back to get the blade further away from me. I aim to punch his jaw but miss and hit his throat instead. He makes a choking sound as I grab ahold of his wrist that's holding the knife.

I focus on disarming him and grab the side of his neck, pulling him down while I drive my knee up to his face and chest multiple times. And then, I surprise myself when I gain wrist control of the hand holding the knife, breaking the weapon out of his grip, and pushing away from him.

He staggers back; his glowing eyes appear stunned. He clearly underestimated me. I can't help the smirk on my face as I look back at him feeling empowered; That's right, I'm not an easy target.

He regains his composure quickly, and we begin to circle each other. I can see him trying to decide whether to disarm me, possibly hoping I don't know how to handle a knife or attack me directly.

He chooses the latter and comes in for the attack. I quickly duck, feeling a whoosh of air, as he throws a right hook at my head, and I sweep his leg while slashing his thigh, causing him to fall back, grunting when he lands.

He doesn't stay down, however. Instead, he kicks his legs up and out, standing up in a swift motion like a ninja in all the action movies I've watched.

We step back, assessing each other again. Where the hell is the security detail? How have they not realized I'm missing yet?

I'm sure it's been at least twenty minutes from when they should have expected me to come out of the library.