Chapter 52

This last week has been amazing.

JP and I are both anxious for his stitches to come out; we've been spending almost every night together, and I love waking up next to him in his arms.

I smile as I think back to how we've both caught each other, watching the other sleep.

However, I don't like that he woke me up this morning by taking pictures of me, but then he said I looked like a sleeping angel and wanted to capture it, to look at whenever he wanted, so I forgave him.

But my absolute favorites are the early morning or late at night moments when we are just holding each other, kissing, talking, or laughing together. It's so much more than I expected being with him.

I would be lying if I said everything was perfect with rainbows and flowers; because it isn't, and just like it was before when we were just friends, we argue a lot—if not more, now.

He resorts to calling me a pain in the ass when I stop him (nag him, if you ask him) from overdoing it with his injuries, but I fire back when he's an arrogant ass himself.

And today is one of those days; he's been in a mood all day, and it started when the Dr. called to tell him he wouldn't be able to come by until tomorrow to take out his stitches.

He's been short with everyone, but I don't back down from telling him to stop being an ass because things aren't going his way.

We're currently sitting on the couch in the family room, and the final movie of The Godfather trilogy is on. Several of my Uncle's men are sitting around us as well.

JP has his head on my lap, and I unconsciously play with his hair, running my fingers through his thick, silky hair, scratching his head lightly with my nails.

He turns his head, so he's looking up at the ceiling. "I guess it worked out for the best, considering I couldn't get the reservation at Sandro's until tomorrow, anyway." He sighs, referring to taking me out on our first official date.

"And I already made plans to watch Tobias kiddos tonight, anyway, remember?" I remind him. I trace his face lightly with my finger, and he closes his eyes. I run my finger faintly over his soft lips, and he smiles, which makes me smile in return, knowing he loves when I do this.

"So, what's the plan for tonight, lovebirds?" Santino saunters in, sitting down heavily in the recliner. During this last week, he's been settling in, too, working with the men each day, training them with different techniques.

A few of the older men didn't appreciate being taught by someone younger, but he quickly gained their respect by taking on several men simultaneously during one of his sessions.

"Not much. I'm watching Tobias' kids so he can take Melanie out on a date, and their kids are spending the night here." I tell him.

I look back at the TV, and the ending scene is on, where Michael Corleone is sitting alone outside a house in Italy. "Okay, someone, please explain something to me..." JP's eyes open as he looks at me; he grabs my hand, placing a kiss on my palm before sitting up and moving me onto his lap.

"What is it, princess?"

"Everyone loves The Godfather movies because they showcase what mob life is like; the kill or be killed code, women, drugs, money, power, yadda, yadda. But they also take the theme of what the Mafia life is about and how everything boils down to family. Nothing is more important than family, right?" A few of the men nod at me.

"So...can someone tell me what the point is? What was the point of all of it? Michael Corleone said everything he does or did was to protect his family, to protect his empire, for his family, but his family wants nothing to do with him in the end and look at him," I point at the screen. "No family, no empire, no money, no women, not even his friends were there, with him. He's just there, sad, depressed, and alone."