Chapter 9

STELLA/CHARMAINE

I hurry to change out of JP's sweatshirt after my Pops walked out.

I look over the yoga pants and pale blue crop top I'm wearing in the reflection in the mirror as I pull my hair up in a ponytail. I then layer on a small zip-up jacket to cover up the bruising on my stomach.

My mind keeps going back to how I woke up this morning draped over JP like it was the most natural thing. I glance over at my bed, picturing us both asleep in each other's arms.

We have fallen asleep with each other before but never in a bed together; it felt different but nice, too.

I chuckle as I remember being horrified when I discovered I had drooled and then tried to wipe not only my mouth but his chest discreetly.

He hadn't noticed, though, and then as I watched him sleep, I couldn't stop myself from running my fingers lightly over the stubble on his jawline, giving him a more mature look to his youthful face. I remember being scared I had woken him up when his face twitched, but I hadn't.

JP is the epitome of a young Italian heartthrob.

He's tall at 6'4", athletic, and has that air of confidence that you either have or don't. He's dated girls throughout the years, but nothing serious from what I could see.

I shake my head, recalling how the few guys I have gone out with each commented about JP and I's relationship. They would mainly assume that JP was an old boyfriend-turned-friend because we were always together.

The look on my Pop's face was priceless when JP opened the door. I could only imagine what was running through his mind when he looked over a half-naked JP standing in my room. But I didn't have to wonder long when he asked point-blank about JP and me. 

Over the years, he's hinted to JP and me becoming more than friends; he'd prefer I end up with someone he knows and trusts and has always thought highly of JP.

I smile, knowing my dad rushed home to make sure I was okay. Even though I assured him there was nothing he could have done if he was here, I could see the guilt in his eyes.

I tried to joke about the whole thing, too, but Dad just brushed off my attempt, saying I always look for the positive in a situation.

After brushing my teeth, I walk out of my bathroom and see JP sitting on my bed. I bend down carefully to grab some shoes, still feeling the effects of the attack everywhere. I turn to JP, and he's watching me with a strange look on his face.

"JP? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," His voice cracks, but then he clears his throat. I glance over at him, and if I'm not mistaken, he's blushing. "I'm fine. I just uh...can I talk to you?"

"Sure, what about?" I walk to the nightstand to grab medicine and open the water bottle he brought me. I take the medicine and wash it down with the water.

I put on a hat, hoping it somewhat hides the massive black eye I'm sporting now. I look over at JP since he hasn't said anything yet, and he just keeps staring at me, like he's in a daze.

"Hello? JP, what's going on? Did you find something out about the masked man?" I look at him expectantly.

"Um, no. It's not about that; it's..." JP swallows so loud I can hear it. I sit down next to him, but he stands up and starts to pace back and forth.

Why is he acting so weird?

"Charmaine, I really—"

"Char, are you ready?" Pop walks in, interrupting. He looks at me and JP once again; he smiles at JP almost sheepishly.