Chapter 39

STELLA/CHARMAINE

Joey stands there, with his arms folded, smirking at us.

He's wearing a black tank top. The full sleeve of tattoos on his right arm includes a snake, a wolf, and a skull. His left arm has tattoos as well, but they're random ones.

"We were here first, genius. So if you ask me, you two dipshits are stalking us." Annalisa scoffs, mirroring him, by crossing her arms as well. "What the hell are you two doing here, anyway?"

"Visiting my sister." He gives her an innocent smile.

"Who's this?"

I turn to see Oliver walking towards us, along with some more of Vince's friends. Oliver positions himself right next to Annalisa, putting his arm around her shoulders and I notice Joey's eyes linger on Oliver's arm on Annalisa.

"Oh, this?" Annalisa gestures towards Joey. "This is god's gift to women, everybody, Joey Salvatore."

Joey smiles, reaching out to grab her outstretched hand by the wrist, pulling her close to him. "See, doesn't it feel good to finally admit it, doll face? You know I'll show you a good time." He whispers in her ear, but it's loud enough that we all hear.

Annalisa pushes him away and looks back at him with her hands on her hips. "Please, you wouldn't know a good time if it sat on your face, Joey."

Joey sighs dramatically. "Okay fine, fine. I'll let you sit on my face so I can prove it to you." He says, giving her a mischievous smile.

Annalisa flushes but then regains her composure. "In your dreams, Salvatore."

"Every night, baby. Every night." He walks away, winking and laughing.

"Friend of yours?" Oliver asks her as he takes a sip of his beer. His clear blue eyes trained on the back of Joey's head as he makes his way back over to JP.

She scoffs at his question. "I know him, but friends? Not so much."

I notice the blonde girl JP was walking with is coming towards us. She grabs two beers and looks over, and smiles at me.

Annalisa, having that best friend ability to read my mind, talks to the girl. "I like your sweatshirt. Did you go to Columbia?" She asks, making friendly conversation.

The pretty blonde laughs shaking her head. "Oh no, it's not mine. It's my boyfriends'."

What? Did she say, boyfriend?

My heart sinks to my stomach. Annalisa puts her arm around my shoulders, squeezing my arm gently. "Cool," She responds to the blonde girl.

"I'm Annalisa, and this is my friend, Charmaine."

"What a pretty name, Charmaine. I've never heard it before; I'm Heather." She smiles and extends her hand out to us. Annalisa looks at it for a moment before ultimately shaking her hand. I shake her hand too, quickly.

"It's such a beautiful night for a bonfire, don't you guys think?"

I can't bring myself to speak, but Annalisa answers for us. I'm still trying to process what is happening.

I notice how clear her green eyes are. She has that natural, carefree look about her, and her long blonde hair has the effortless beach wave look to it. It's like she doesn't even have to try to make herself look beautiful. She just is.

I hadn't noticed she had asked me something. But then, I feel Annalisa nudge me, and I blink, "I'm sorry, what?"

"Oh, I was just asking if you guys live here, in San Diego?" She asks, smiling kindly at me. It makes me want to hate her less, but I can't.