Chapter 60

JOHN PAUL

I'm nervous as hell as I get closer to Timo's office.

I had asked to meet with him privately, and he agreed, telling me to come an hour earlier to his office before the actual meeting we were supposed to have, began.

As I knock, I panic for a moment realizing my father may be in there with Timo, and given how our argument from a couple of days ago went, I can only assume he would interfere, again, as I attempt to talk to Timo.

"Come in."

Timo's deep voice comes from behind the door. I take a few calming breaths as I open the door and inwardly sigh that my father is not there; I shut the door behind me.

"Buongiorno, John Paul." Timo stands to shake my hand.

"Boss," I grip his hand in mine.

"Please, have a seat." He gestures to the chairs in front of his desk, but I shake my head.

"I think I'd rather stand, sir."

"Sir?" He looks at me, amused.

Fuck, I'm so nervous.

I clear my throat and don't realize I already started to pace.

"Is everything okay, John Paul? Is it Charmaine?" He asks me; his eyebrows are pulled together in concern.

"No, I mean, yes. Everything is fine." I run a hand through my hair. "I'm not sure where to start."

"Sit down, John Paul." He orders me, but his voice is calm, and I sit in the chair in front of his desk.

He leans back in his chair, waiting for me to collect my thoughts or remember how to form words. But he begins to speak before I do.

"This life isn't for you, is it?"

I look up at him, and I expect to see the disappointment in his face, but I don't; instead, he's smiling back at me.

"I thought it could be before..." I trail off I clear my throat again. "You gave me a chance to prove myself, to be a part of the family. And I will always be grateful to you, and you'll always have my respect." I tell him.

"And you have mine, John Paul. You're a good man, with a good head on your shoulders." He sighs. "So, what are your plans, now?"

I smile, thinking of Charmaine. "I'd like to finish these next two trips, but I want to go with Charmaine when she leaves for Paris. There are some projects I've looked into out there that I can do while she takes her courses.

And then, when we get back, I'll help her start up her business. I've also looked into a development firm that I want to work with once we get back; they have a couple of construction management positions opening next year."

Timo looks at me for a moment before he speaks. "Charmaine is an exceptional girl, and I'm glad you two have each other in this crazy and dark world we live in."

"I just don't want you to feel like I'm abandoning my responsibilities, though." I tell him.

"Listen, JP, if I could do it all again at your age, I would be doing the very same thing," Timo tells me.

I let out a big exhale as I prepare to unload the next part. "I don't know if my father has said anything to you, but...since we're already talking, I plan on asking her to marry me."

"And before you lecture me on being too young or it being too soon, or try to talk me out of it like my father has. I need you to know that I've loved her since we were kids; since I first saw her, I was drawn to her. And I need you to know, I will take care of her and protect her, and I know I can make her happy.