Chapter 12

Vince is standing at the door, looking back at me, smiling. He's wearing a white button-up shirt with grayish blue khaki pants. The sleeves of his shirt are rolled up a quarter way up his arms.

"Wow...Charmaine, you look great! Ready to go?"

I can sense as JP walks up behind me. "Where is Annalisa?" JP asks, before I can answer Vince; His voice is low, sounding more like a growl.

But I wonder the same thing as Vince looks behind me at JP. "John Paul, hey man! It's been a long time. How've you been?" He reaches out his hand to shake JP's hand.

"I'm fine. Where is Annalisa?" JP answers him while also repeating his question in a clipped voice. I watch as he grips Vince's hand a little too tight. I place my hand on JP's arm, and he lets Vince's hand go without looking at me.

"She's uh... she's home. She was taking too long and realized we were going to be late, so she asked if I could come get Charmaine before going back for her." Vince tells us while looking down at and rubbing his hand after being in JP's death grip.

I turn to glare at JP. "Well, see you later." I push Vince back out and shut the door behind us.

"He's so friendly, " Vince says sarcastically. 

I shake my head, laughing lightly. I explain everyone's on edge with what happened to me the other day, not to mention finals are next week for us, and JP's always been overprotective over me, if not more now.

"I guess I don't remember him being so...serious. How long have you two been dating? I thought you guys were more like siblings."

I choke on my own spit as he pulls the car away from the house, down the long driveway. "What? We're not dating," I cough to clear my throat.

Vince laughs, "Does he know that?"

"We aren't—it's not like that with us," I try to explain, wondering why this has come up so much in the last couple of days.

"He's my best friend," I tell him, but I can't help feel like I'm not honest, considering the feelings and thoughts I've been having recently.

"He's just always looked out for me while growing up together, that's all."

"If you say so," Vince smiles at me. "You really do like nice." Heat rises to my face as I thank him for his compliment. "So, i.f you and JP aren't together..are you seeing anyone?" He asks while looking at the road.

"Um, no. No, I'm not. I haven't had time for anything outside of school and work." I'm suddenly nervous about where this is going. I had a massive crush on him when I was in high school, and now we're both adults and at different points in our lives. "How about you? Anyone special back home in...California, right?"

"No, no one in particular." Vince smiles, looking over at me. I don't know why he makes me feel so nervous, so I look out the window. "And yes, I'm living in California."

I don't like awkward silences, so I ask the first thing that comes to mind." Do you like living in California?" Hoping to lead the conversation in a different direction.

"Yes, I do. The weather is nice most of the time. I like not dealing with the snow. There are parts of California where it does snow, but not in San Diego, where I live. The traffic can get just as congested as it does here, if not worse. You should come to visit with Annalisa after graduation."

"I've never been anywhere outside of New York or New Jersey." Again, feeling embarrassed about how sheltered of a life I live.

"Well, that's even more reason to come. You'll love it. The views are amazing. And even though we have beaches in New York, they are so different in California." So he tells me, and I can't help notice and watch as his eyes light up while talking.