Chapter 5

My eyes open slowly. I blink a few times, taking in my surroundings, and notice I am lying down on a couch. The scent of cigar smoke and leather in my Uncle's office fills my nose.

I hear low voices murmuring, not quite making out what they are saying. It sounds like they are arguing and growing louder.

"She needs to know."

"No. With finals next week, she needs to keep her focus. I want to know how the hell this happened? What the fuck am I paying everyone to do if not protect her? How the hell did no one notice she was missing or gone?" 

The angry voice sounds like my Uncle's, but I'm having a hard time focusing; my head feels groggy.

"We know the attacker took out one of the men, who was waiting near the restroom. When he finally came to, he said he couldn't remember anything. After I finished briefing you, I talked to Tommy and David; they are looking at all the comm pieces right now, there was an issue with them.

They started glitching and then went out completely. By the time we realized no one could hear each other, she was already running out on the main floor as I was making my way in." Another voice says.

The same voice continues. "I think JP's right. She needs to know the truth, Timo. She's stronger than we give her credit and fought back. She can handle the truth and if anything else happens, you will regret not letting her know when you had the chance."

"I will tell her after this week when she gets back from her trip."

"What? Are you still letting her go? After this? This attack wasn't random, and you know it! They came for her, Timo. They will come for her again; why put her more at risk?" 

That sounds like JP.

"Watch your tone! Don't forget who you're talking to, John Paul. I want her to concentrate on her finals and enjoy her birthday without having anything else to worry about—I don't want to scare her!"

I try to lift my head to look over where the voices are coming from, but my head feels very heavy and starts pounding. My right eye starts pulsating and throbbing at the same time. Pain starts shooting throughout my body, and I groan involuntarily, which draws attention to me.

"Sleeping beauty is finally awake." 

I look over and see JP walking towards me. He smiles down at me, and I try to return it, but it hurts my face.

"What time is it? I don't want to be late to my literature class," My voice croaks, and my throat burns as I speak.

He gives me an amused look. "Only you would be worried about being late for class after going through what you did. But, I hate to break it to you, Char; you were not only late but missed the entire class," He laughs lightly.

What? I sit up quickly, instantly regretting it, groaning in pain.

"Whoa, easy tiger. Not so fast. Take your time sitting up. You've got some gnarly battle wounds. I'd hate to see what the other guy looks like," He jokes. He squats down next to me and hands me a glass of water. "Drink." He demands.

I take a long sip. The cool water feels good on my throat, but it hurts a bit as I swallow.

"What happened? What time is it?" I ask again, and my voice continues to crack. I try to clear my throat, hoping my voice is void of the cracking now.

"After you came home, we brought you in here to talk to you about what happened. But you were so upset and crying pretty hard, to the point you couldn't talk. So we left you for a while, and when we came to check on you, you had fallen asleep. And it's five-thirty." He lowers his wrist after checking his watch.