Chapter 8

JOHN PAUL

The movie TopGun ended ten minutes ago, and a Friends rerun is now playing. Charmaine fell asleep almost halfway through the film, leaning over on my shoulder.

I knew she wouldn't be able to stay up, but she insisted on staying up even though she was nodding off. Unfortunately, she hasn't been sleeping well, with the nightmares starting again, and now, with what happened today, I won't be surprised if they escalate.

I brush back a loose strand of hair that has fallen out of her braid; she re-braided it after she had to pull out the gummy bears I threw at her.

I graze the bruise on her eye with my fingertips. Her eye muscles twitch a little, and I pull back my hand, afraid I've woken her up, but she continues to sleep.

"Why don't you just tell her how you feel, man?"

I turn my attention back to the TV, mentally face palming myself, forgetting Joey was in the room with us.

"Everyone knows how you feel about her. That's why no one has made a move on her yet." He reaches over to grab the bag of M&M's.

I half shrug. "I doubt it has anything to do with me and more because the guys know what her Uncle will do to them, if they tried."

Joey laughs. "Touché, but everyone can see how you look at her, too."

"She doesn't. I'm just her annoying best friend." I breathe out, running a hand through my hair.

"Only because she doesn't know how you feel about her. Seriously man, do or say something before someone else does. Or you'll be in the friend-zone forever." He warns me.

I roll my eyes. "Thanks, Dr. Phil. But she has enough going on, without me telling her how I feel, with what happened today and finals coming next week." I sigh, frustrated, "I was planning to talk to her after finals, but now it's going to have to wait. "

"Whatever, man, if you're not gonna do anything, then why pass up a chance to be with a girl like Victoria tonight?" He asks. I cringe, remembering the first night I met Victoria a few months ago.

"She's been asking about you, and I told her you'd be at the party tonight. But here you are, holding out for the one girl you can't have. Why torture yourself, man?"

"I will tell her when the time's right."

"I won't say I told you so, but you're going to wish you said something sooner." He informs me. "Mark my words. She won't stay single forever. You've already had to deal with some of her crushes over the years." He stands up and stretches. "Well, last chance, it's still early. Do you want to go to the party or not?"

"Nah, I'm good. I'm gonna clean up and take her to bed."

"Going straight for the holy grail, thatta boy," He winks. I scowl at him as he walks away, laughing.

I ease myself away, laying her head down gently. Then, I start gathering all the food and take it to the kitchen. As I'm walking back, I hear her cry out. "Stop! Please stop!"

I rush over to her, her eyes are still closed and I realize she's having a nightmare. I try to shake her gently. "Char, wake up. You're dreaming." She opens her eyes slowly.

"What?" Her eyes are half-closed.

"You had a bad dream. Go back to sleep; I'll take you upstairs." She nods slightly and drifts back to sleep. I lift her slowly and take her upstairs.

Once we reach her room, I hit the light switch with my elbow, connected to her lamps, so I won't have to use the main overhead lights.

I lay her over the bed and cover her with the blanket at the foot of the bed.