Chapter 40

We step out onto the deck, and the sun has now set completely, and there's a cool breeze blowing; the scent of the salt air is thick.

Music from a guitar carries over the sound of the ocean waves crashing on the shore in the distance.

Most of the party-goers are busy with themselves, but a few look over as we walk further out, and the sound of laughter reaches my ears. The paranoid part of me wonders if the laughter I hear is at my expense. I lift the hood of the sweatshirt over my head to cover my face.

Humiliation settling in the pit of my stomach as I scan the crowd. I slow down and stop walking, and JP turns back to me, his brows creased. "What's wrong?"

I look down, wringing my hands in front of me. "I pretty much announced that I'm a virgin to everyone here, JP," I say quietly.

JP holds his hand out to me. "So what? You're my virgin."

My stomach flutters as I reach for his hand and he gives me a charming smile and then brings my hand to his lips, kissing the palm of my hand. His sweet gesture makes me weak in the knees, and then his large hand covers mine as he interlaces his fingers with mine.

Holding his hand provides the reassurance and comfort I need at that moment as he leads us through the crowd. Still, I'm grateful for the darkness of the night that has set in, so no one can see my face, which is probably as red as a tomato as people glance at me.

Annalisa walks over to me, engulfing me in a big hug. "Glad you guys had your talk." She smiles as she holds me at arm's length, then turns to JP, hooking her arm with mine.

"JP, this goes without saying but just so there's no confusion; you hurt her, and I'll kill you or castrate you, depends on my mood." Shrugging as she smiles at him, with an evil glint in her eye.

"I'm not going to hurt her, Annalisa." He grabs my hand again, squeezing gently.

"Well, you've been warned. Now, if you don't mind, I'm taking my gorgeous friend here to grab a drink." She starts pulling me away, but JP doesn't let go of my hand, and I look back at him.

"JP..."

"What? I just got you to myself. You can't blame me for not wanting to let you go so soon." He smiles, pulling me close to him, and places a soft kiss on my lips.

I don't think I'll ever get used to the feelings he gives me. Annalisa clears her throat, impatiently and I pull away, "I'll be back." Giving him a quick peck.

I turn back to Annalisa, smiling like a fool. She rolls her eyes at me, chuckling, and hooks her arm in mine again, steering me towards the drink area.

"I can't believe I announced I'm a virgin; I'm so embarrassed," I say to Annalisa, looking over the crowd. Unfortunately, I still catch a few glances in my direction, which only adds to my ongoing humiliation.

Then I see JP watching me, a smile playing on his lips. I tuck my hair behind my ear, looking down as I smile; my stomach flutters being at the receiving end of his smoldering gaze.

"Don't worry about it; you're probably never going to see these people again. I can't believe that Connor turned out to be a total dick. Their group left, by the way." She mixes a coke and rum drink for me.

"So what happens now, with you and JP? Are you ready to sleep with him, and I'm not talking about the usual spooning you two have done here and there." I look over at her with wide eyes. I forget how blunt she can be at times.

"I don't know...I mean, I want to, but I'm supposed to be leaving soon, and he's getting involved with my uncles' business with each day that goes by..."