Chapter 69

STELLA/CHARMAINE

He's changed. 

Something's wrong.

I woke up alone, again. 

There was a glimpse of the man I love last night. But even the way he made love was different. He was rough then tender all at once. It almost felt like a warning from him.

He's keeping something from me, and I don't know why he won't talk to me. I used to be able to understand what he was thinking. Even though he can be moody, he always had this easy smile, but that handsome smile is replaced with an emotionless mask.

I unconsciously rub my stomach. I have to find out what's wrong, not just for me but for our little chip. Maybe if I tell him about the baby, he'll talk to me, open up about what is going on. Our baby and our life together are more important than waiting to surprise him for his birthday.

I hurry to take a quick shower, getting dressed just as fast afterward. While I'm brushing my hair and putting it up in a high ponytail, I see the trail of love bites on my neck that he left last night, and I don't bother hiding them as I rush out of the bathroom.

I shove the copy of the sonogram in my back pocket and head out to see if he's in his room.

I knock when I'm outside his door, but there's no answer. So I try again, a little louder but still no response. When I try to open it, wanting to peek inside, his door is locked.

But then I remember what he said the night of Joey's party about bedroom keys placed over the door frames; I reach up over the edge but don't find any key.

I head downstairs, hoping he's in the kitchen but only find a handful of my Uncle's men are in there, talking and eating over breakfast. They stand, acknowledging me as I walk in. I smile and nod in return and head for the pantry.

I grab a granola bar, hoping it settles my nausea. I walk back out and decide to check my Uncle's office, but it's also empty.

I finally give in and decide to call him. But he sends me directly to voicemail, and I clench my jaw in frustration. My heart is racing as I feel myself getting angrier and angrier as I quickly type and send him a text:

*Me: What's going on, JP?

I see the dots, showing me he's read the message, but then they disappear.

*Me: TALK TO ME JOHN PAUL!

This time there are no dots.

I stop to take a few deep breaths to calm myself; I read stress isn't good for the baby, and I need to focus and not get too overwhelmed.

I remind myself I'll be leaving in a couple of days for Paris, so I need to busy myself and decide I should start loading my luggage, to preoccupy my mind.

But I find myself checking my phone often, hoping to see a response from him.

After packing all the bags that I'll be taking with me, I make sure I have my passport and itinerary in my bag, so they're ready to go.

I look around and feel super antsy and realize I need to eat something. So I head to the kitchen and find Carmela in there, cleaning up from lunch.

She smiles when she sees me, embracing me in a long hug. Then, she grabs my hand, admiring the ring again that now feels like a brick on my finger.

"You pale, dolcezza. Are you feeling okay?" She places her hand on my forehead.

"Si, I just need to eat something." I smile at her.