Chapter 23

I look at the missed call and voicemail alert on my phone with my dad's name.

"Is everything okay?" JP asks me.

I look back at JP. "I missed a call from my Pop."

His eyebrows creased. "When did he call you?"

I shrug in response. "Probably this morning, to wish me a Happy Birthday. I can't wrap my head around the fact that he kept something like that from me all these years. Uncle Timo knew as well. They both told me it was to protect me. Pop said the attack, and I guess the threats Timo is getting are tied to my real mom, Isabella Cardinale.

But they both lied to me for years and expected me to be okay with it. I have a mom out there somewhere, I think. I don't even know if she's alive, JP. My dad was upset after he told me, but I couldn't pretend everything was fine, you know? It feels like my life is this big lie, and this entire time, I've going along, freaking clueless." I sniffle as I finish rambling.

JP pushes back a loose strand of my hair and tucks it behind my ear. "Charmaine, you know they both love you and wouldn't do something to hurt you intentionally. They would die to protect you, without question. It isn't fair, but if they say it was to protect you, maybe give your dad a chance to explain it better. Did...Dom leave you a message? Maybe you should listen to it."

I pull away and stand up, feeling myself getting angry. "How can you defend what they did? They looked me in the eyes every day and lied to me, JP. The funny thing is my dad isn't able to give me any other type of explanation because he said Uncle Timo would tell me everything when the "time is right".

But that's just it. Uncle Timo never tells me anything. I don't think you would be as understanding if it were you who found out you were lied to your whole life by the people you trusted and loved the most."

JP stands to walk over to me with an irritated look on his face. "Char, they have done nothing but love you and looked out for you every day. Maybe they could have done it differently or said something sooner, but maybe they couldn't for a reason."

I shake my head and fold my arms, looking at him. "No, JP. There were plenty of times they could have told me the truth, or at least tried, but they didn't. Instead, they chose to lie to me and to keep the truth from me. I don't think I could ever do that to someone I love."

His eyes flash with emotion for a moment before he looks out into the ocean skyline. "I'm sorry you are hurt, Charmaine, but Timo will make time to talk to you. And you're dad...I know you, and you can't shut him out. You need him."

I sigh and look down at the ground. "I know, but I'm not ready to talk to Pop yet."

I feel his fingers lift my chin to look at him as he stares at me thoughtfully. "The fact is, you love your dad and Timo. So it's not worth holding on to anger."

His hand moves from under my chin and cups my face. As he keeps his gaze on me, I start to feel a fluttering in my stomach as his rich dark brown eyes look deeply into mine and once again my eyes find his inviting lips.

There's that invisible pull I feel towards him again and feel myself leaning up into him when someone yells out. "Hey!"

Joey is standing at the doorway of the terrace. "If you two are done eye-fucking each other, we're heading out to breakfast." He smirks at us.

I peek up at JP, who's glaring at Joey, and I turn back to Joey and tell him we're coming.

<><><><>

After breakfast, Annalisa informs Tobias of our plans to go to the boardwalk, then shop at the Tanger Outlets and hit the spa before dinner. He sends most of the guys back to the penthouse and keeps three of the men that stayed home last night with us.