Chapter 26

Annalisa turns and hugs me tightly as I sit next to her on the curb. "How are you two doing?" I ask her and Vince. They both say they're okay, shaken up, but okay.

My phone startles me when it rings; I look down at the screen and see it's my Uncle. JP must have told him what happened.

"Hello?"

"Charmaine, thank God, you're alright." Uncle Timo breathes into the phone. "JP called me and told me what happened."

He proceeds to tell me Tobias suffered a broken arm and a concussion but overall is fine. He's having Tobias transported back to a hospital near where we live and says that I can go with him to see him tomorrow.

Before he hangs up, he tells me he's already made arrangements for us to take the bus home since it's the fastest way with our large group. It never ceases to surprise me with how quickly he's able to get information or do things when he's not even around; his connections do not seem to have limits.

I glance up as JP walks back over, informing us that he's called a taxi service to send enough cars to come to pick us up.

I've never seen him be so serious, in control and in charge, like he's been tonight. I ask him what we should do about Elena. We couldn't ignore the fact that the man in black warned me about her, just like the cars.

JP instructs Joey and some other men to go up to the penthouse once we arrive to ensure it's safe. I feel uneasy when he also instructs to restrain Elena until he comes to question her but I don't say anything.

He tells us he has to stay to talk to the police about what happened. 

"Do they want to talk to me, too?" JP shakes his head at me and tells me to stay with Annalisa and Vince.

I'm sure they'd want to talk to me as a witness or something. I've seen enough crime shows on TV to know I should probably give them my point of view on what happened.

JP is talking to a man in a suit; I can only assume he's a detective, and I start making my way to them, but the look JP gives me stops me in my tracks. Then, before I can think any more about it, Annalisa calls out for me as the Taxis arrive, and I turn back and get into the Taxi with them.

Joey tells us to wait in the lobby while he and the men sweep the penthouse when we walk inside the hotel. Annalisa takes me to the restroom in the lobby and helps me wash off the blood from my hands and arm. I put JP's suit jacket back on to cover up the bloodstains on the dress. She fixes my hair so it doesn't look so wild.

I sigh as I look at her through the mirror. "I'm so sorry. If you had gone to the bathroom with me--you could have been hurt tonight--not to mention the cars. It's probably best if you weren't my friend for the sake of your safety Anna. I've put you in the middle of all of this. And I don't even know why this is all happening?"

Annalisa grabs my hand. "Don't you dare blame yourself, Charmaine. We don't know who's after you or why they are after you; this is not your fault."

I look up and think about telling her regarding the gunman's message from a guy named Cardinale and how the man in black knows my real name. But his words come to my mind to not trust anyone and stop me.

But I can trust Annalisa, though, right? Other than JP, she's the longest friend I've had since moving in with my Uncle.

"What is it?" She asks me, noticing my hesitation. I shake my head and tell her it's nothing, thanking her for being understanding and for her friendship, despite all the craziness that comes with being my friend.

As we walk back out towards Vince, we see Joey and Damian walk out of the elevator, both looking tense. Joey tells us we can't go back up the penthouse. The men who weren't on duty tonight are all dead; shot, or their throats were slit, including Lucas.