Chapter 7

When we get back to the house, I head straight to the kitchen to get snacks while JP goes to the large family room.

Making sure I have all the essentials; I walk in with a bag of Twizzlers, Starburst's, Gummy Bears, Peanut M&M's, and a bowl of popcorn. "So, what are we watching?" I ask, setting the snacks down on the coffee table, arranging them on the table by what I'll eat first.

"You've got quite the appetite, princess." JP smiles, biting his bottom lip while raising his eyebrows at my selection of snacks.

"Hey, don't come at me just because I don't meet your standards of what women are supposed to look like or share their eating habits. Yes, I might be...thicker in some areas; but I happen to like my body. And yes, I love food, but I eat to fuel my body, not to stuff myself."

Okay, fine, sometimes I do stuff myself, but I'm not going to admit that to him. Most of the time, I'm proud of my body and what I can put it through.

I'm not exactly short or tall at five foot eight, but I do have curves, and my thighs slightly touch. I don't have that ever-elusive gap between my thighs that society deems as a requirement to be considered beautiful.

I follow up with an important detail to drive my point home. "Maybe you didn't know this, but some people build quite the appetite fighting for their lives. In case you forgot, I did that today."

"Okay, first, I was joking; relax. Damn, take a breath. Second, I don't have standards like that when it comes to women." He says, frowning.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, John Paul." Sarcastically responding as I bite into a Twizzlers. Flashing images of the rail-thin girls I've seen hanging all over him over the years go through my mind.

"I'm serious, though; there's nothing wrong with you or your body..." JP tries to say.

"What?" I look at him, distracted by what he said.

His face is red as he realizes some of the men who are in the TV room, shooting pool, in the corner are watching us and then stutters out. "Nothing...nothing. I mean, you're fine, wait—I mean like your body's fine, you know?"

"Okay...thanks?" Slightly confused at what he's saying.

"And I don't have a specific type that I like; you would know if I did," He adds, sounding irritated.

I laugh at him. "I do know, JP. You seem to forget; I've seen the girls you go out with, remember? Sheesh, now who needs to chill." I say, shaking my head at him.

"Anyway, you sure you feel like staying up? I figured you'd be dying to go to sleep after the day you've had." He says, looking at me, waiting for my response.

I shrug. "I haven't been sleeping well; you know that. And I'm sure what happened today isn't going to help."

We go back and forth for a while on what movie to watch when he finally narrows it down to two options. "50 First Dates, it's one of your go-to favorites or reruns of Friends?"

"Either is fine, so you choose. But can I ask you something first?" I ask tentatively.

He looks over at me. "Sure, what's up?"

I bombard him with all the questions that have been running through my mind since I woke up in my Uncle's office. I ask who his dad thinks is behind the attack and if he knows who the masked man was, why they came after me, and finally if he believes they will try it again.

He laughs, "Whoa, Char, one at a time! First, a few things have to be looked into before I can say anything about who's behind it. You know Timo would literally kill me if he knew I said something to you.