TEARS

ANNE

I practically ran down the auditorium steps the minute the gala dinner was over and Rachel told me everything that had happened.

" Anne! " somebody cried out behind me but I didn't stop. " Ms. Martinez! "

I caught sight of Gabriel standing by the valet attendant and when he saw me running towards them, his eyes quickly shot up and he said something on the radio.

Just before I reached the landing step, a car had already appeared at the bottom of the stairs.

On reflex, Gabriel was quick to open the door and I jumped inside the car without hesitation.

My head of security was about to shut the door closed when a panting Beth came into view, catching her breath as she bent down to look at me.

" Anne- " she gasped in between breaths holding out something in her hand.

I quickly recognized my silver mobile phone which she had been holding on to since  the day began.

" Y-your phone, " Beth stammered breathlessly.

I quickly took the phone from her and looked at my secretary. " Do you know where he is? "

Beth nodded her head. " He's waiting for you at your apartment. "

I mumbled a quick thank you and within seconds, we were already on our way to my house.

I quickly entered my four digit passcode on my mobile and my homepage, a photo of Jeju island that I took months before, quickly came into view. I ignored the email notification and quickly went to check my call logs. I swallowed hard when I saw several missed call from Chang - all of which I didn't get to answer.

I saw three calls that were answered, at least by Beth, and saw that he made one three hours ago, probably when he left the auditorium, hoping to talk to me.

But I couldn't because I didn't know what was going on. Because I was too busy with the launch program to even think of him. I thought guiltily.

I should have known something was wrong when I didn't see him on the same table as Rachel. I should have known dad would pull something like that. I should have called him to check where he was. 

But no, I was stressing over the presentation and Tommy's lame antics. I was trying hard not to create a scene that will fuel the gossips surrounding me and Tommy. I was trying hard not to disappoint my father and so I went along with what he wanted. Unaware that I was already hurting Chang in the process.

I'm a horrible person, I thought angrily as I stared at the busy streets of New York.

I'm angry at Tommy for doing that stunt on stage, calling me darling and all the pathetic endearment that he could think of. I'm angry with my father for meddling with the launch plans and for doing something as underhanded as switching Chang's seat. But most of all, I was angry with myself for letting all these things happen. I should have done something about it. I should have stood up for myself and for us.

" We're here, ma'am, " Gabriel's voice broke into my train of thoughts and I realized that we have stopped in front of my building.

I jumped out of the car even before the attendant can open my door. I practically ran to the elevator and started rehearsing my apology to Chang on the way up the pent house.