Chapter 12

SCARLETT'S POV

"I know you said you come here often but how come I've never seen you before?" He asked. I looked at him and thought of what to say. "Maybe it's not that you haven't seen me just that you didn't care to look." I answered him just as playfully as I awaited his reaction.

I got a reaction alright. A smirk and a smile. The kind that got any girl's life upside down and mind on overload.

"Maybe you're right but still you may be wrong. It is possible that I may have lost hope. If I knew you were out there I never would have stopped looking." He said with a genuine smile. I found his words truthful and I believed him.

Just like that I believed him.

I said nothing in returned. He reached for his cup and raised it to his lips. He parted his lips ever so slightly to drink. I took my eyes away from him to focus on something else other than him.

We sat there talking even shared laughs for a few minutes and then his phone rang. It was not my initial intention to listen in but I overheard them(him and the caller)say something about a pack in his conversation. It came from the caller. And my curiosity was awakened.  Not that it was sleeping or anything. And due to that same curiosity and me being me, I decided to ask him about it.

I was no busy body. I just wanted to ask.

"So you train dogs?" The question flew out of my mouth but I was also curious. I would have totally understood if he didn't wanna tell me. I was kind of getting in his personal space. "Not exactly. But you could put it like that." He said with an amused smirk and as his lips curved even more it became a smile.

He may have smiled but his eyes told me something. Not to push the topic any further. And like the good girl that I was I stopped.

He had not said anything ever since the call ended and I said nothing as well. And all through the silence that was surprisingly not as awkward as my head told me it was he was looking out the window at the stars. I could only study-look at him for soo long before it was called staring.

I kept my head down and eyes on the cup infront of me. It was almost empty.

As the silence continued to my dismay  I decided to play with the cup,running my finger around the top of the cup. After an intense stare from him I raised my head and reached for the cup and took a sip. The last sip on my delicious coffee.

His eyes kept staring daggers at  me. It felt like he was searching  for something,scrutinizing my being. I tensed involuntarily.

How intense can this guy's stare get?

"Is there something on my face?" I asked after finding my supposedly 'lost' voice. His stares make me insecure,more than I already was. They make it worse.

"No...on the contrary there is that something that-" He cut himself off. The excitement was evident but it went as soon as it came. It felt like I had imagined it all and maybe I had. I  opened my mouth to speak but nothing came. I repeated the same thing about two or more times.

Something in me wished he could have continued. Could have said it. And that something in me was telling me that it would have been the best thing I would have ever loved in life.

"Something that?" I probed. I was utterly confused at the whole thing ever since it started.

First he went to my house three days prior. Second he came to my table,uninvited might I add and we were talking nicely apart from the occasional silences and intense stares. And now all a sudden he was cutting himself off.