Chapter 31

SCARLETT'S POV

"Are you sure you'll be fine? I can still drive you there myself."

It was the umpteenth time today. I had only an hour before my flight and she was already giving me a headache. "Oh,Ana. I will be fine. Besides,Nick will be taking me. So stop worrying." I said reaching for my bag. "And you swear you guys are not dating?" She said with a teasing laugh and a raised brow.

I flushed.

"Like I have told you a million times already,we are not dating." I said with a frown,that I quickly covered with a smile as the door bell rang. I wish we were, I thought to myself. I wished he would consider me his girlfriend and c a l l me his girlfriend. But then again,whatvstopped me from initiating the next step? All I had to do was ask him if I could call him my boyfriend as soon as I got back.

Well if I had enough guts to do it. Which I don't.

"Bye. I promise I'll be back before you even notice I was gone." I said giving her a tight hug. Turning on my heel,I walked to the car where Nick had just placed in the last of my bags in the boot. A gray jaguar and he seemed to be the one driving. No chauffeurs as far as I could see.

"I didn't know you could drive." I teased as he drove away from a waving Ana. I would miss that girl. "I can do many things." He said,a smile lacking any trace of humor on his face. "I will show you sometime." He added,smiling
seductively. "I can't wait." I said sarcastically,looking at him as he concentrated on the road. "Careful with your words. There will get you in trouble." The same humorless smile on that beautiful face of his that I could not stop looking at. "I'll take my chances." I pryed my eyesvawwy from him tivthe road. But I had to admit,it was fun playing with him. He had done it to me a number of time. He held the steering wheel so tight his knuckles turned white.

"Don't break it. I still have to catch my flight." I placed my hand cautiously above his. The excitement that came from that simply touch sent shivers running up and down my spine. The thought of this man -or any man like him- ever seeking interest in me seemed so far away. But yet,there he was infront of me,driving me to the airport. I was not the kind of women he liked. Thick thighs,tinny waist,flat tummy and big chest,an hour glass body. I didn't fit in any of that. I neither had any thick thighs nor big chest not to talk about an hour glass body. I didn't look like that model I had seen him talking to. She was tall,blonde and had beautiful skin. She represented all the models. She had everything I didn't. Long legs,perfect butt and beautiful face even if it was because of the make-up. She still looked beautiful.

"A penny for your thoughts? You seem to be concentrating on something." I sighed. He was filled with so much concern and love and softness every time he talked to me. While I on the other hand was filled with doubt. I wondered if I should be talking to him when I was talking to him. I wondered why he had chosen me when there were so many beautiful women out there. Women like Elizabeth.  Although I didn't like the woman and hated her with a passion,she was beautiful. She had it all,the hips,thighs. The whole package. But damn that woman was annoying. She had her way of bringing the worst in me.

"It's nothing serious. Just scrutinizing a patients' case that I had been working on." I shrugged my shoulders. "Come to think about it,you never told me way you actually got suspended from work." He said turning his head to look at me for a second before looking back at the road. That also reminded me of why I never told him. He would go and on about how wrong they were and how precious they didn't know I was. It was  kind of comforting to hear him say that.

I told in a deep breath and started telling him the whole story,well it was more of a brief of the story. "A patient came needing emergence attention. She was in labour,had high blood pressure which had sky rocketed when they reached the hospital.  Well she had been in an accident. A car incident. Anyway,I performed the procedure,saved the baby's life at the expense of the mother and the family had planned to sue me and the hospital if I didn't get punished." I heaved a sigh at the image of the infant in an incubator came to mind. Tears threatening to fall out as the image of her crying in my arms with the dead body of the mother still on the operation table. From what I was told the OB/GYN present during that surgery,did her best to rule in my favour but it was never meant to be. I had to be punished for doing what I thought was right.