CHAPTER 6: THE PROMISE.

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 6: THE PROMISE.

Tayo had always had a soft spot for Idara ever since they met in school. Right from the very first day his sister introduced him to her, he knew she was so different from the other regular girls he'd seen in the Faculty of Social Sciences. To him, Idara was one of a kind: beautiful, rare, smart, lively, meek, simple and sweet. And he'd often tried to express his feelings for her through special gifts and lengthy phone calls, but sadly, she never read between the lines.

The closest to a green light that Tayo had ever gotten from Idara were the usual friendly smiles and the funny pet names. Sometimes, he wondered if his age was what scared her away from him. He was just twenty-eight years old, and she was twenty-five. There wasn't too much gap between them, after all.

Or could it be because of the fact that he was in his third year and she was just a freshman? Tayo couldn't figure the exact reason why, but tonight, he hoped to hear from the horse's mouth, come rain or shine.

Presently, Tayo was worried-sick as he searched the surrounding for Idara. Strangely, she had left the group when Isioma dared her to kiss Yomi. She'd been gone for almost five minutes without an excuse, so Tayo thought it was best if he looked for her.

Fortunately, it didn't take too long for him to locate Idara under the shade of a palm tree where she sat, all by herself.

Highly relieved, Tayo joined her on the rough, sandy ground, resting his back against the tree too. “Here you are. I've looked almost everywhere for you. Whew.”

With glazed eyes, Idara responded absently, “Yeah.”

Tayo noticed she was staring into thin air, partially lost in thought. “What are you thinking about, Isabelle?”

Idara sighed. “Nothing serious.”

“I don't think so.” Tayo shrugged a shoulder. “I guess it's about what happened back there, isn't it?”

Idara drew her legs up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. “Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know.”

Tayo stretched his legs out for comfort. “I thought as much,” he muttered, having gotten his answer from her complicated reply. “Was that why you left us?”

Idara swallowed hard. “Yup. Same reason.”

“Why couldn't you do it, though?” Tayo raised his eyebrows inquisitively. “After all, he's your best friend. Shouldn't be too hard for you.”

Idara decided not to respond to that.

Sensing that she wasn't in the right mood to engage in that particular discussion, Tayo said, “You have a very nice skin, Dara.” He wagged his feet nervously. “A perfect caramel skin and an athletic build. Do you workout?”

“Rarely.” Idara shook her head slowly, relieved about the clever change of topics. “It's natural. I'm just blessed with it.”

“Whoa, God is good. But what about your skin tone? How's it so smooth as silk?” Tayo was tempted to hold her hand, but he fought the urge and behaved gentlemanly instead. “What cream do you use?”

Idara puffed as she finally set her eyes on Tayo's mature face. “With all due respect, TY, you talk too much.” She smiled sweetly. “But I like it, though.”

Tayo smirked. “Glad you do, 'cause I only act this way around you.”

“Why? Do I intimidate you?”