CHAPTER 32: CONSEQUENCES.

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 32: CONSEQUENCES.

One week later. Thursday.

As early as six thirty at dawn, Yomi and Candice arrived at Candice's new apartment with a big smile on their faces. Why? Because Candice's apartment had just been fully set up yesterday, and because she was finally moving in today.

Candice, in particular, stomached so much excitement that surpassed Yomi's joy, mainly because she was at the winning end without spending a dime on the house. It actually took a great deal of guts for Yomi to take cash from his business account which he eventually used to furnish Candice's crib, and that was because of Candice's constant nagging which always drove him insane and restless after he almost went broke due to the robbery he experienced last week.

Yomi knew full-well that his actions would eventually affect his business, especially when it comes to paying his workers' salaries and his shop rent, but if crossing the lines for Candice guaranteed Candice's happiness, then he was ready to face the music, fair and square.

“Wow.” Candice's eyes wandered around the apartment, noticing every single detail about the designs as she walked about. “You did a good job with this place, boo.”

“Yeah.” Yomi concurred, dropping her trolley bags beside her wardrobe. “I'm glad you like it.”

“You even added a chandelier to the ceiling!” Candice gasped, holding her chest in surprise. “No freakin' way!”

“Yes freaking way.” Yomi spread his arms out. “Anything for you, babe.”

Candice got the memo and walked up to him for a super tight hug, whilst laughing. “You just never cease to amaze me, do you?”

Yomi attempted to speak, but something unusual suddenly happened. It was as if his voice vanished and his words halted right in his throat, choking him to the point that he started coughing erratically.

Frightened, Candice broke their hug, watching as Yomi held his chest and his neck in pain. She fearfully asked him what was wrong with him but she got no comprehensible reply, so she quickly went to take a bottle of water from one of her trolley bags and gave it to him. It wasn't until Yomi sat down and drank the whole bottle that he attained pure relief. The choking and coughing miraculously ceased, much to Candice's relief as well.

“Babe, what was that all about?” Candice joined Yomi on the bed, panting heavily. “You almost killed me!”

“Baby, I'm-I am sorry.” Yomi coughed one last time, breathing fast. “I don't know what triggered that cough. I didn't mean to-to scare you, babe.”

Candice sighed, collecting the empty bottle from Yomi. “Don't worry, it's okay. At least you're fine now.”

“Yeah, babe.”

A call suddenly came through from Candice's phone. She would've snubbed whoever it was for Yomi, if only it wasn't someone bigger than him; someone like Chief Rochas.

Funnily enough, Yomi actually noticed the odd look that Candice gave him before she excused herself to answer her call outside. He suspected foul play big time, but he stayed chill despite the trillion thoughts running through his mind.

There was really no need to get himself all worked up, because he'd already plotted a plan in no time. All he had to do was wait for his significant other to return in order to execute it.

“Who called you?” Yomi demanded the very moment Candice walked back inside, gazing at her intently.

“A family member.” She closed the door, smiling. “What's up with that look?”