CHAPTER 17: HAKUNA MATATA.

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 17: HAKUNA MATATA.

-
-
-

On sighting her girlfriends from on top of Yomi's car's bonnet where she sat, Idara jumped down and ran to embrace both of them like her life depended on it. She was particularly glad to see Isioma in good health, and thus took longer in embracing her while whispering "Thank you, God!" over and over again.

Although Isioma was somewhat puzzled by Idara's actions, she didn't say anything silly or awkward to ruin the moment. Instead, she just assumed that Idara missed her so much, as she embraced her back.

With all said and done, the trio went into Yomi's car to vibe and chill.

"Where's Yomi?"

"He went to print something at a cafe," Idara answered Anastasia. "He'll be back soon."

"Okay."

"Where's Tayo?"

Anastasia hissed softly. "Somebody that has gone to work since. He was supposed to come here with us o," she replied Idara, "but a client called him for an urgent job which he had to attend to. He said I should greet you sha."

"Aww." Idara grinned. "That guy is a chronic workaholic, and he's very thoughtful, if I must confess. I'll call him later."

"You better."

Giggling, Idara said, "So, how was your night with momsy?"

"Fine, fine, fine," replied Anastasia. "That woman can overpamper somebody ehn. Choi! I swear it's always lit whenever I'm with her. She's just too caring."

"Mmm." Idara swallowed hard. "Too bad motherless kids like me can't relate."

On hearing that, Isioma's jaw dropped, her eyes widening. "Wait, baby girl, is your mother, like, late, or something?"

"No, no. Not at all," replied Idara. "My mom is very much alive, but as far as I'm concerned, she's dead to me. She left when I was five. Like, who on Earth does that?"

"Hmm. Nawa o. I'm so sorry to hear that, Dara."

"So am I." Anastasia said empathetically. "But to be honest with you, Dara, what you just said about your mom was quite uncalled for."

"How?" Idara asked, curling her lips.

"I mean, fine, I know that what she did was absolutely wrong, but she must've had a reason for doing so. You shouldn't judge the woman without knowing her own side of the story, you know?"

Idara scoffed. "It's easy for you to say, since you don't know what it feels like to grow up without a mother's love. How could I possibly blame you?"

"Look, I'm not taking her side or anything." Anastasia explained carefully. "All I'm saying is that the fact that she left doesn't automatically make her a bad person. You have to know exactly why she did what she did before pointing accusing fingers at her, and then maybe you could find a way to forgive her for it. Think about it."

"You know, as much as I hate to admit it, Asia is right, Dara." Isioma stated flatly. "To err is human, but to forgive is divine. Even though it won't be easy, you have to forgive your mother, 'cause she's only human, and as humans we are all prone to make stupid mistakes in our lives. So don't feel too bad about it, babe. By now, I'm pretty sure she regrets her actions, you know?"

"She sure does." Idara answered, scoffing again. "She calls me every now and then, trying to revive what we both shared a long time ago, but it's much too late now. Honestly, how she got my number is way beyond me. But what I do know for sure is that I don't feel anything for her anymore, and I sure as hell am not willing to settle anything with her, either. Let her stay on her lane and leave me alone, for crying out loud. It's a free world, after all."