CHAPTER 38: THE BIG NEWS.

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 38: THE BIG NEWS.

Panting heavily, Yomi barged into Candice's ward and saw her lying on the sick bed, her cheeks swollen like a balloon. Although she wasn't unconscious, she couldn't talk, mainly because the memory of the earlier occurrence kept playing over and over in her mind, making her shed tears on the spot. She'd never been humiliated like that in her entire life. The shame was just too much for her to shoulder alone.

Yomi — who was at work when he received a call from a stranger who had informed him about the incident and had left all what he was doing to come here — stood before Candice, baffled by her unlikely appearance. Not only was her face red with bruises all over her hands and legs — most of which were covered in bandages — but she also reeked of egusi soup and he could see particles of it scattered in her hair.

“What were you thinking?” Yomi shook his head and facepalmed, disappointed in her. “Just see what you've brought upon yourself.”

Yomi's rebuke only made her weep even more. He was amplifying her shame out of annoyance.

“Why are you so uncontented?” Yomi demanded, holding back to the best of his ability. He had a lot of things to spew right now, but he was aware of the effect of his words on Candice's mood, hence his cautiousness.

Candice didn't say anything, though. In fact, she hadn't laid her eyes on Yomi since he entered, all because she couldn't even stand the feeling she had inside now, let alone the formidable look in his eyes. However, somehow, Yomi sucked his emotions up and settled on the bed beside her.

“Anyway, how are you?” He tried to be civil, at least for now, till he could give her a proper tongue-lashing outside the confines of the medical ward.

“I'm fine.” Candice's voice was nothing compared to her response. Her mojo was apparently gone; her voice no longer held its usual sauciness and its highly ridiculous accent, which were literally her signature traits.

“I'd probably believe that if you had said it straight to my face.”

Candice got the memo, so out of sheer effort, she looked at Yomi, bracing herself for the worst.

“Stop crying.” Yomi simply said, to her amazement. “You look terrible.”

“Babe, I'm sorry.” Candice muttered. “I don't know what came over me. I don't know why I have commitment issues.”

“Candice, sorry isn't going to change the fact that you've made a fool of yourself in public, is it?”

“Babe, I know, but I'm sorry.” Her tears couldn't stop flowing. “I feel so stupid right now. I'm so sorry.”

“Save it, please.” Yomi objected. “The only reason why I'm here is because whoever called me said that you personally told him to. He said that he brought you here and that he wanted to call your family—your sister in particular—but you disagreed and insisted on me instead. Why?”

“My family cannot know about this.” Candice shook her head. “They'll kill me. I can't risk it.”

“Oh, really? Is that what you think?” Yomi scoffed. “Just hold on, let me show you something.”

“What is it?” Candice watched as Yomi took his phone and made a few clicks, before handing it to her. “Oh my God!”

“So how long do you think it'll take before they see that video which has already gone viral on the Internet?” Yomi jested, shaking his head. “As we speak, it has crossed two thousand views on a top site in Nigeria with the caption, "Slay Queen gets beaten mercilessly by her sugar daddy's mistress." What a pity.”