CHAPTER 23: REVELATIONS.

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 23: REVELATIONS.

-
-
-

On this beautiful Tuesday evening, Yomi and Idara were together on a trip to a very classy restaurant where Idara and her mother had agreed to meet for dinner.

Prior to the commencement of this trip, Yomi had begged Idara to forgive Candice for her violent action against Idara the previous day, and to also allow him drive her to her destination as a means of making it up to her on Candice's behalf. And Idara, being a typical softy, had agreed to Yomi's pleas without much fuss.

Presently, the two best friends were listening to Yomi's car radio in silence while waiting for a go ahead sign from the traffic light.

"Hey, Dara." Yomi called, sensing Idara's odd mood. "You okay?"

"Yeah." Idara replied after a moment of hesitation. "I'm good."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

Immediately after Idara responded, the traffic light showed bright green, and then Yomi continued driving forward.

Turning off his car radio, Yomi glanced at Idara and said, "Look, if it's about what happened yesterday, I'm deeply sorry about that, Dara. I talked some sense into Candice before I even called you on phone last night, so you should be expecting to hear from her any time soon."

"Mmm."

"Believe me, Dara, Candice is also sorry for what she did. I swear."

Idara sighed without looking at Yomi. "Funny enough, that's not even what I was thinking about, Yomi."

Yomi glanced at Idara again. "Really?"

"Yes."

"So what's the problem, then?"

"It's about this whole meeting-my-mother thing." Idara said, looking out through the car windscreen. "I mean, the whole thing's just kinda weird, you know."

"Yeah, I feel you." Yomi replied. "I know how you feel."

Slowly, Idara shook her head in wonder. "Honestly, it amazes me how this woman who abandoned her family for so many years just pops out of nowhere and thinks that she can win back my love with a dinner treat. Isn't it laughable?"

Yomi said nothing to Idara on purpose.

"Twenty good years, Yomi." Idara lamented further, her voice laced with sincere pain. "That's how long she left us. And now she's back like a ghost. How pathetic."

Yet again, Yomi maintained silence.

"You're not saying anything," Idara complained, still avoiding eye contact with Yomi. "Why? Are you on her side?"

"Not exactly." Yomi eventually spoke, casting another glance at Idara. "Look at me, Dara."

Hesitantly, Idara adhered. "Mmm?"

"Look," Yomi faced her properly, "you have every right to be angry with your mom, but let's be sincere with ourselves: that woman loves you, and she wants to make it up to you at any cost. Why else would she offer you a dinner treat if not to talk to you in person?"

Idara didn't reply, albeit not on purpose. She just didn't know how to tackle Yomi's question without going completely off point.

"Have I ever told you that your mother came down to my parents' house when Francis, your late brother, passed away some years ago?"