CHAPTER 42: GOODBYE.

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 42: GOODBYE.

It is said that just before one dies, their whole life flashes before their very eyes, and that was almost the case for Yomi tonight. He should've died after taking that pill, but somehow, he opened his eyes and found himself on a sick bed, right next to his friends who surrounded him with gloomy faces.

Despite his blurry vision, he could pinpoint the four people in the room, which were Tayo, Danladi, Isioma and Idara, who sat right beside him on the bed with her head down, worried, while the rest of them sat on their respective chairs and had their eyes fixated elsewhere, apparently worried too, judging from the silence in the room.

The only thing that could be heard was the constant beeping of the machine that was connected to Yomi's wrist to monitor his heart rate.

“Idara, is that really you?” He mumbled.

Idara raised her head at once, amazed. “Yomi!”

Her voice attracted the others, and they all stood up immediately.

“Hey, guys.” Yomi coughed, feeling his stomach churning. “I'm still alive?”

“Yes!” Idara testified with delight. “Yes, you are!”

“Very alive.” Danladi added, somewhat angrily. “You're lucky I was around when you took that pill. What were you thinking?”

Yomi was speechless. He definitely didn't understand what was going on. How could he be alive? How on Earth was he still breathing? Candice took the poison and died in his presence under three minutes, so why was his own case different? Why was he still living?

“But how?” Yomi coughed again. “How am I still alive?”

“Well,” Danladi frowned, “you know I live upstairs, right above Candice's apartment, so I noticed something was off about the loud music coming from her place and I decided to check it out, and that was how I found you unconscious on the floor and she, dead. Shocked, I rushed out and called on an elderly neighbor of mine who sells herbs, and she gave you a little something to slow the poison, and that gave me enough time to bring you here, man. What the hell came over you?”

Having known why he was still living, Yomi shut his eyes and sighed, attempting to facepalm, but he was too weak to move his hands. They felt so numb, so fragile, so lifeless to him.

“You should've just left me to die.” He uttered gloomily. “I would've been at peace by now if you hadn't saved me.”

“Bro, don't say things like that.” Tayo advised sharply. “The tongue is very powerful. You should be proclaiming life for yourself instead of death.”

“Yes,” Isioma agreed. “Don't say that again, please.”

“Why are you guys sugarcoating your words to him?” Danladi attacked Tayo and Isioma. “You had better tell him the truth.”

“What truth?” Yomi opened his eyes back, wincing a little bit from the stomach upset he was suffering from.

“Danladi, don't say a word yet.” Idara cautioned him with pleading eyes. “Please.”

“What truth, Danladi? Tell me.”

“Well, the truth is that you haven't really been cured of the poison,” Danladi disregarded Idara's plea without hesitation. “You've only been given some meds to slow it down, at least until an expert surgeon arrives, who would look into your case properly. Your chances of survival are very, very slim as we speak, because whatsoever you took is too strong to be controlled with ease. You might die by internal bleeding soon, Yomi. It's better you know the truth now.”

JUST BEST FRIENDSजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें