CHAPTER 40: MEMORIES.

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 40: MEMORIES.

-
-
-

HIV?

Yomi still couldn't fathom it even after leaving the hospital with anger about three hours ago. He'd abandoned Candice there, and instead of going home directly, he went to a bar to have a couple of drinks, and now he was seated in his car, somewhat tipsy, battling with his worries again.

How on Earth could he be HIV positive? How did he let this happen? He still had a long way to go in life and he didn't need this at all. Thinking about the impact it would have on his health in a couple of years to come scared him to the bone. He couldn't imagine the virus metamorphosing into AIDS and wrecking his system down, bit by bit, until he was skinny enough to be compared to a skeleton, or probably die from its drastic effect on his health.

Thinking back now, Yomi cursed the day he met Candice. He remembered how gentle and adorable she was at first - when they started dating to be precise - not knowing that she was a chameleon and a devil's incarnate in disguise. Moreover, some things about her seemed off a lot of times, but he was blind to them, and even when his friends warned him about her, he paid deaf ears to everyone because he thought that he knew better, but he'd seen the outcome of his foolishness, alas.

Banging his steering wheel with fury, Yomi shut his eyes tightly and remembered Idara's numerous advice to him. He recalled her persistence on the negative motives of Candice towards him; how she always tried to open his eyes to no avail. He'd thought that Idara just didn't like Candice for no reason but now everything made perfect sense to him. He'd finally seen Candice for the snake that she was, but it was rather too late now.

Perspiring, Yomi recalled Idara's baby face, her captivating smile and her good vibes. He remembered almost all the good times they shared since their childhood and how tight their bond was before he ruined everything. How did he let one snake come between such rare friendship? How did he throw everything away for one wolf in sheep's clothing, just because of her deceitful tongue and splendor?

He should've listened to people's advice when he could. He should've been more observant of Candice's trifling ways when he had the chance, but now his life was on the line, and there was absolutely nothing he could do to reverse it.

But maybe there was something he could do to tame his guilt over Idara's absence from his life. So, quickly, Yomi grabbed a note and a pen from his glove compartment and scribbled his thoughts on it for a moment, and then he returned them and took his phone to text Idara, despite how hard his mind was telling him not to.

Honestly, what he was about to do would be the hardest thing he would ever do in his life, but he was determined regardless. It was time to make amends, once and for all.

__________

It was already dark by the time Tayo dropped Idara off at home. Happily, she waved him off and went inside with a big smile on her face, and with two big packages in her hands.

Barely had she stepped in when Isioma embraced her and snatched one nylon from her hand. Laughing, Idara dropped the second nylon on the reading table and took her tote bag off her shoulder, looking around for Anastasia.

Isioma noticed. "She's not around," she opened the nylon and saw tons of fruits inside. "Damn!"

"I can see that you like what you see," Idara's smile broadened, "but what you're about to see will blow your mind!"

"In the other nylon?" Isioma asked, curiously.

"No, silly. That only contains my wet beach wears." Idara raised her hand and started wagging her fingers in the air. "I'm talking about this!"