Two-Challenge Rule

I hope you all enjoy this extra long chapter.

Mark's POV

"So this was a personal decision?" Derek asks me motioning to the matching family costumes.

"Hell yes, it was!" I say proudly. I hold up Everett in my arms with a giant smile on my face. "We look badass."

"Badass?" Derek questions with a laugh.

"You know you're jealous." I tease him.

"You know Halloween is for the kids." He reminds me.

"And this is for the kids. Davina and Theo love me in this."

"And does Gen love you in this?"

"She's going to be ripping it off me later." I wink at him. He chuckles.

"I'm taking a step back from surgery." He blurts out to me.

"Oh really. How does that feel?" I question him as I reposition Everett in my arms.

"I'm getting used to it. I'm putting more focus into my research."

"The one you're doing with Torres?" I question and he nods his head.

"Yeah, and it's doing the trick. I don't even think about what I'm missing."

"If that's the lie you're telling Grey you might want to work on it."

"It's not a lie Mark. I'm doing fine stepping back."

"For now." I state.

"Wow." Derek glares at me. "I thought we moved from this."

"We will when you actually deal with the issue."

"There is no issue Mark."

"There is if you will have resentment towards those who you feel held you back."

"No one is holding me back."

"I'll still be by your side either way Derek but you have to open your eyes that you're not that deep of a man."

"Wow." He chuckles again. "Coming from the man who..."

"Who planned his whole family's Halloween costumes from start to finish. I even enlisted Kepener's help. I am as deep as it gets. I cook, I am great with kids, hell I'm amazing in bed and other places. So yeah I'm pretty damn deep." I explain.

"Dada." Davina walks over to me with a lollipop in her hand. She reaches her small hand out towards me to follow her.

"I got to go." I wink at Derek and follow my daughter to the apple bobbing station.

"Theo is going to get his costume all wet if he goes in for another apple." Gen tells me. Alexia is taking a bottle as we all wait for Meredith to come home from surgery.

"That's my boy." I cheer my son on.

"I've gotten five apples so far." Theo exclaims.

"Why don't we save some apples for others bud?" I ask.

"Hey did I miss it?!" Lexie comes into the house all flustered.

"No, you're just in time." Derek greets her.

"Good because I had this spinal fusion that took way more time than I hoped for but I made it and now...aww...we were supposed to dress up?" Lexie says with sadness.

"Oh no that's us." Gen answers Lexie.

"Awww look how cute the twins are." Gen passes Alexia over to her and she cradles her. "I should have gotten a costume. I love Halloween."